back to article Dell EMC stumbles into composable systems late waving MX7000 box

After some engineering soul searching, Dell EMC has finally arrived late to the composable system market with a box comprised of OME-M software and an MX7000 chassis for servers, storage and networking. This long-awaited tech joins HPE's pioneering Synergy – mooted in late 2015 – along with competing systems from DriveScale, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, "composable". I thought it said "compostable"... instead of upgrading, just toss it out back with yesterday's veggies.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Well, that veg was looking a bit scsi

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I have to admit that The Cloud (TM) has been good for one thing

It seems clear that all this cloudy stuff has pushed server management into the stratosphere.

That has to be a good thing.

It has also created entirely new failure situations, which vendors are learning to cope with. A bad thing, but overall probably good in the long run - it'll just cost millions of companies tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in lost sales or lost data, but hey, you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs, right ?

3. Androgynous Cow Herd

Scalent?

Dell acquired Scalent almost 10 years ago. It claimed to do this....

The reality was, no one was actually buying what they were selling.

Except Michael.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scalent?

A lot of Scalent was rolled into the Open Manage Suite.

Additionally, if you look at HyperV and VCenter frameworks, you'll see similar levels of automation delivered there, which matched and in some places surpassed the Scalent tool kit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's basically a catch up play for EMC to compete against UCS. Lot of good in the platform, but as a network company Cisco shines in the unified fabric dept. The MX FC and Ethernet connectivity is separate all the way down to the sleds (blades). In a multi-chassis configuration, every chassis must have FC connectivity as opposed to only the FI pair with UCS. Given the drive density is really good on these sleds I expect vxRail to be layed down on it which would be interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thumbs down?

I you give it a thumbs down, please respond explaining why you think what I wrote is wrong. I guarantee you it is accurate!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like