back to article UK.gov told: You're not very good at collecting quality data, are you?

UK government bodies collect data "as an afterthought" or when they've been caught off-guard in a grilling, Parliament's Public Accounts Committee's chairwoman Meg Hillier has said. In her annual report, published today, she describes poor quality data as "the perennial bugbear" of her committee, saying that it has seen repeat …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Yet another myth busted..

I guessed I'd always figured HMG collected all kinds of internal stat so they could scope the problem.

Y'know, because being able to measure it's size and growth rate (whatever "it" is) gives you some idea if you can get a tender in from a £1m year business or if you need one of "The Usual Suspects (TM)" and their decades long multi £Bn contracts

But obviously the reason why departments don't know this is because they can't be f**king arsed to collect the data in the first place.

That really does make them astonishingly fu**witted.

Special mention to the Home Office and its role as a designated "Center of Evil" in the British government.

Pathetic.

1. annodomini2

Re: Yet another myth busted..

That really does make them astonishingly fu**witted.

Nope, it's deliberate and malicious.

No data = No proof.

Ergo Civil Servants and/or MPs statements have to be taken at face value.

2. SVV

No deal is better than a bad deal

"HMRC is having to plan for all scenarios – deal, no deal and transition"

I guess when Theresa chooses the ministerial red box whose contents she's going to gamble on, Noel's going to ask the banker and announce that the UK willl leave with 1p.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're not very good, period.

"Totally incompetent" is the phrase you're looking for.

4. Caffeinated Sponge

Well.

I suppose it’s a bit early to be drawing conclusions, but two that jump right out at me are that maybe turkeys don’t like voting for Christmas- ie, services at risk of outsourcing don’t see why they should make themselves easy to replace and secondly, if the stats are all badly off and it turns out that the replaced public service was doing much more than its paymasters thought for the money, maybe they weren’t such poor value and could usefully have remained in-house?

Regardless of a persons’ political views on private versus public sector for service delivery, there are a number of very searching questions to be answered here. I’m not very impressed with the ‘business brains’ in charge...

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Well.

I’m not very impressed with the ‘business brains’ in charge...

I think you misunderstand their objectives, delivering efficient public service is so far down the list it's somewhere after knighting the Loch Ness Monster for services to tourism.

No the objective is get get as much money as possible into the private sector so when they leave Westminster they can cruise into a nice sinecure at one (or more) of the companies that benefited.

On that metric they are doing a splendid job.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its like when we get a council hosted with us

Council: We only need a server spec'd and priced for 50 users as we will only have a max of 50 users logged on at a time

Us: OK no problem, here is a server that will accomodate 50 users

Council: Hi, the server is slow and it wont let half our staff to connect

Us: You currently have 75 users logged in and the server is out of resources

Council: This is very poor service, what do we tell the media?

Us: Tell them you are going to pay to upgrade your system to accommodate more users

Council: Sorry we cant do this

Council to Media: We are working with our IT provider (named) to resolve the issue

-------

Media: IT Provider (named) cockup causes Council systems to run slowly

So you see, IT providers get blamed for a lot of stuff, and sure enough it is the IT provider sometimes, but other times its the customer that fails to fully tell us what they want and then expects way more than what they have paid for. But then the media grills the IT provider for the failings

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like