back to article From frog to prince: How private equity may fish Barracuda from the industry's boiling pot

Seven months ago Barracuda Networks was gobbled up by private equity biz Thoma Bravo because it saw latent possibilities that couldn’t be realized under public ownership. It wasn’t one of your usual private equity buyouts, with a company brought down by weak results and acquired on the cheap, or spun off by a parent hobbled by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late?

We were a loyal Barracuda customer until they couldn't grasp the fact that an email appliance without native encryption isn't much good these days! Moved to someone who does...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For quite a while rarely a week went by where we did not see delayed outbound email to many domains and all of the receiving MX records ended in "barracuda.com". It still happens occasionally, although not quite as much as aol.com/yahoo.com/verizon.net (Gee, I wonder what those three have in common...)

3. Cursorkeys

These gits bought my Spam Appliance provider, Mail Foundry, and then immediately dropped the entire product line. Being an American company there was no refund for my mostly unused annual subscription, their response when I asked was basically just SFYL.

No worries though, they did offer a reduced cost transition to a Barracuda Appliance...for about 10 times what we were paying.

Told them to get stuffed and built my own using MailScanner + Mailborder, free and works very well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Garbage products

Only ever seen them being used in small shops where the 2 guys in IT have never used anything else, or where there's an IT manager with no real experience in the field. Upgrade path of their appliance is a joke. Glad the market sees the same thing, judging by their P/L

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019