Re: Had the fire brigade called to a five star hotel, in Malta....
About a month ago at the Travelodge Royal Scot, about 10 minutes walk from King's Cross / Saint Pancr(e)as. Worst full English ever, but I digress.
Some of the inmates came down to breakfast, grabbed a croissant and dropped it in the conveyor belt toaster.
It jammed at the back rather than being scooted out of the front, prompting a "ehhhh, excuse me, my Croissant's stuck", followed by the cook/attendant/cleaner/washerupper/handyman trying to prise a quickly blackening croissant out the back of the toaster with 2 wooden spoons, then scooted off to find cook/attendant/cleaner/washerupper/handman #2 to come to lend a hand.
Croissant starts to ignite.
Whilst c/a/c/w/h #1 looks into the toaster at the black, smoking lump at the back, #2 drops off the mugs and plates and walks back 2 minutes later to help #1 pry the now well flaming remains of a burnt offering whose smell pleased $DEITEY, with wooden spoons and bacon tongs* from the toaster.
The whole room is now watching this unfold, starting to pack up laptops and get jackets on before the flre alarms go off, amid a pale blue, sugar and margarine scented haze.
Croissant removed, dropped into bucket. No-one thought of turning the toaster off or pulling the plug (even before they started furkling around with metal bacon tongs). No-one suggested it either, probably waiting for a big blue spark and a 50hz buzzzzert. Nothing in the end, not even a beep from the smoke detector.
So, no, maybe the conveyor belt toaster is not the way to go.