back to article Google tweaks Wear OS – yes, it's still around

Google has made some minor tweaks to the wearable OS it insists is doing just great. More than 50 watches running Wear OS (formerly Android Wear) are on the market, Google said, although many are from fashion brands using two-year-old technology. Last year Google's big change to the flop OS was making it more of a standalone …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh...

...It's still rare to see anyone in real life talking to an AI gadget of any kind on the street, ...but a more useful assistant may remedy that. "

And let me guess, the VR in every home is just around the corner, complementing the 3D TV, that you can record with your Snapchat glasses.

Something about looking like a complete prick in front of others is the real reason it doesn't take off. Even years after they came out, someone using a Bluetooth headset in public still results in people looking at them as if they have a personality disorder.

2. J27 Bronze badge

"Siri and Bixby"

Siri is behind Google Assistant. Bixby is out back in a dumpster.

I'm one of the jerks who has one of these, I bought it because the vibration strength on my phone is so weak I can't feel it very well when seated at work (the place where the vibration function matters the most to me).

It's kinda useful to see notifications at a glace, and the fitness tracker functions work well enough, but there really isn't that much you want a phone to do. And the people who make these things want to smash as many features onto them as possible. My phone has LTE and Wi-Fi that I leave nearly permanently disabled (I don't even have a sim card in it), if you do turn both on it cuts battery down to 1/3 (From just over 24 hours to nearly 4 days).

As a result, I've decided that if I'm ever going to buy another of these I only care about the basic features, appearance and battery life. If the manufacturers ever get these right, they could be kinda cool. Although if my next phone has better vibration strength, I may very well not bother anyway, these things are more of a toy than something essential.

1. iron Silver badge

"I bought it because the vibration strength on my phone is so weak... My phone has LTE and Wi-Fi that I leave nearly permanently disabled (I don't even have a sim card in it)"

What on earth do you need a stronger vibrate function for if you have all networking disabled? Why do you even carry a phone?

3. Valeyard

wat

Google continues to tweak power settings with an "enhanced battery saver mode" in which the radios and clock face are off.

so... "enhanced battery saver mode" == "off button"

4. Tom 35 Silver badge

yes, it's still around

It's not a Microsoft phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019