back to article What a Docker shocker: Founder, CTO Solomon Hykes takes a hike

Docker cofounder and CTO Solomon Hykes on Wednesday announced his departure for the company, citing the need for a CTO with experience selling to enterprise organizations. Hykes insists that his departure shouldn't be seen as a dramatic event, noting that he will remain an active board member, major shareholder, and Docker …

1. Nate Amsden Silver badge

Docker's future is bright

The quote doesn't seem to distinguish between the technology (which appears to be mostly "free") vs the organization trying to sustain itself off that free technology.

Becomes even more cloudy I think if your betting your success at companies moving their stuff to public clouds, when those clouds are likely just to offer the same technology as Docker can and cut them out of the process entirely.

For me I think the whole concept of Docker is just sad, to be at a point where application quality has degraded so much and inter dependencies have exploded to the point where the only way to "manage" them is with something like Docker.

Containers in general have their use cases I have been using LXC containers in production for about 3 years now (on bare metal hardware in colocation facilities, mission critical e-commerce websites), works really well. Though my containers enclose almost a full OS with IP address(over bridged network interface), running services etc. The systems are managed similarly to VMs in that patches are installed, code is deployed within them etc. The biggest benefit for me is the vastly superior CPU scheduling opportunities running on bare metal, having 48-96+ physical CPU cores to pool from. I only put stateless services on them though.

Docker though, no interest in that stuff. Other folks at the organization I am at are interested and have been working with it, not me.

1. EarthDog

Re: Docker's future is bright

In my experience Docker really didn't help much in managing complexity. For any moderately sized project we ended have containers scatter around like jackstraws with hidden dependencies. Stateless is also fo limited value as there was, on my projects, a need to maintain state *somewhere*. So hacks had to be used to not only save state but to ensure consistency. It turned out to be tricky.

2. EveryTime Silver badge

I do strongly agree with one of your underlying points: it's a sad state of affairs where application version dependency is so complex that we need a system like Docker.

The reality is that such a tool is needed. Despite its high cost, it enables progress.

Unfortunately it hides another reality -- that many applications are built on layers of compressed sewage. Unless you freeze it, the constant stirring means that it is always shifting, propping up some areas while new voids appear.

Bottom line: there is money to be made freezing shit.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There was speculation in 2016 that Microsoft would acquire Docker."

Makes sense. Server 2019 will likely run both Windows and Linux Docker images natively

2. Noonoot

Another one?

All these disruptors just end up erupting

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acquiring Docker?

Why bother acquiring docker? Their technology is either commoditised or superseded entirely by the truly open Kubernetes ecosystem. Their customer base is neither large nor entrenched. I'm sure they've got some damned good people, but at a likely cost on the order of $1Bn it'd be one of the most expensive acqui-hires in history.

4. bobajob12

Credit where it's due

They took a thing that was pretty niche (cgroups, jails, etc) and turned the entire industry upside down. That's pretty good going whether they survive or not.

The long, long story arc here, of which containers are just the latest in a long line of answers, is that managing application complexity and dependency chains is incredibly hard. I mean, what is it now, like the 900th attempt to do this? Header files, libraries, RPC, CORBA, SOAP, SOA, ESB, beans, ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019