back to article MIT boffins build rubber robot, invade privacy of unsuspecting sealife

Researchers at MIT have developed a robotic fish that should allow scientists to spy on intimate fishy moments normally unseen by human eyes. Fish, it has to be said, aren’t keen on humans and tend to hide when divers blunder too close with bulky underwater camera gear. To keep things discreet, scientists have developed a …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Management

Do they manage the robot using a conSole?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Management

No but it is built to scales.

2. Tigra 07
    Pint

How long until one of these goes missing and ends up battered in a chip shop frier?

1. Mark 85

I would think it more likely to be in a bigger fishes stomach... without a side order of chips.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

likely give target fish pause for thought, boffins used an acoustic modem,

Most fish hear far into the ultrasound and far into the infrasound. Natural adaptation to deal with clicky predators like dolphins as well as notice predators from afar.

The majority of fish are dumb as a brick. They could not care less about a cable dangling out of another fish. The only advantage this gives is improved mobility. It definitely has issues as far as "spooking" the fish is concerned though.

4. Christoph

"SoFi (or RoboFish as The Register feels it should be called)"

You mean you didn't suggest Fishy McFishface?

1. Blockchain commentard

Robbie McSoftie - it's both a robot and soft !!!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should call it a catfish. Pretty cool, it's a shame there isn't more fisheye lens footage.

6. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I want RoboShark. I want laser on RoboShark.

(sorry) This SoFi's pretty cool though

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Up

RE: Evil

RoboSharks with fricking lasers on their heads?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Evolution starts here

This weak little robot fish had better hope nothing large and hungry comes along. I really doubt it could outrun any marine predator in its size range. Perhaps there should be some form of defense for the poor thing?

Ink would be ideal; Cheap, not too bulky, easily deployed, looks way cool, and has served the Octopi well for ages.

8. Teiwaz

A Rubber Robot?

What other direction is this heading?

9. Dr Scrum Master
    Headmaster

Silicon Rubber Tail

Silicon rubber or silicone rubber?

10. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I suppose

that fitting a fish-eye lens was really the only option...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well

two fish-eye lenses might have been better.

11. tiggity Silver badge

The easy alternative is slap a camera on a wild fish

They do it a lot in wildlife filming, temporarily attached to e.g. a whale (yes I know its a mammal, but a sea one)

Not sure how "mini" the camera tech goes in terms of "minimum" size of fish that could be fitted with one (in terms of camera size & ability of fish to carry it)

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Then all you need to do is train the fish to film the things you're interested in. There must be plenty of haddocks out there who went to film school right? Plus these days it feels like every mackerel has it's own youtube channel.

12. artificial bitterness

Oil

I'm deeply disappointed they used mineral oil rather than cod liver oil.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon