back to article What's going great for Oracle? Cloud. What's not great? Just about everything else

Oracle is shaking off falling revenues in hardware and services by pointing to soaring cloud numbers in the three months to March. House Larry says that its Q3 FY2018 figures show its focus on cloud and SaaS paying off: Revenues of $9.8bn were earned in the last three months, up 6 per cent from the year-ago quarter. Net …

1. TheVogon

"Services revenues was $796bn"

I rather doubt that!

"pointing to soaring cloud numbers"

You are number 6...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, many people *have* compared Larry to Number 2.

Wait... sorry, my mistake. I meant many people have compared Larry to *a* number two.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Number 6 - in a field of 5.

2. whiz

take a full financial year to get clear picture

Having seen how slow Oracle was into Cloud market, i would wait for a clearer picture.

A full financial cycle results would be very interesting

With many products launched and some only gaining traction recently, I would say clear picture is a bit away.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't see past the cloud

If Hurd really thinks the other 85% of Oracle's business is going to move to cloud, anyone's cloud, he's been drinking too much of his own kool-ade.

When cloud first appeared, Larry famously dismissed it as a fad. He wasn't wrong. There are certainly many places where that sort of shared infrastructure without capital expenditure can be useful, but Oracle's core business of big companies handling huge amounts of data isn't one of them. Those companies want to know where their data is, and want it to be under their control. For them, on-premises computing is still essential, even if it's dressed up as "private cloud" to give them a common management approach across their business. We can see that in the recent uptick in hardware purchasing across the market.

Unfortunately under Hurd'n'Catz Oracle has squandered the goodwill it bought from Sun, and seems to be doing its best to alienate customers who require good support & service, so it's blown any chance of keeping those customers on its own systems at the same time as it's blowing resources on the beginning-to-fade cloud bandwagon.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Can't see past the cloud

The funny thing about Sun and the cloud is that they had a cloud-like product which was arguably ahead of its time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"had a cloud-like product which was arguably ahead of its time."

It's time being the 1970s. Basically shared access to a minicomputer / mainframe.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Love the “Hurd’nCatz” thing!

So their damned if they do and damned if they don’t? They have a cloud strategy, albeit a bit late the the game. They have on-prem solutions. They have hybrid-cloud solutions, e.g. Cloud at Customer. They tell a pretty good migration/transformation story.

What pray tell is the guidance you would offer them? Or are they just doomed to fail on all fronts because they’re no longer in vogue?

4. Name3

Oracle is actually good

Oracle with its licensing enforcement is rather infamous, next to MSFT and IBM. But, Oracle is actually developing really great and big open source software, it bought out of Sun Microsystems like MySQL and Java.

What does IBM do, working on some Apache foundation projects, what does MSFT do beside working on a free texteditor that they forked of Atom texteditor. Oracle work on open source has a lot more impact for sure.

1. teknopaul

Re: Oracle is actually good

Hmmm, Sun bought mysql because they needed a reference implementation for ejb and IBM were playing hard-to-get with derby.

It was developed by different people, adding ndb making it massively scalable, I dont know the details but Facebook want that and Sun do not.

Oracle have screwed all the OS software they got with Sun.

Hence Mariadb is standard OS version and not Oracle branded Mysql(tm).

They recently dumped JEE.

It has big great open-source projects it got with Sun. But I'd argue its not _developing_ them much. Jenkins is another Oracle OS fiasco.

The real open source versions of Java, JEE, Mysql and Hudson are now better than the Oracle versions.

Less we say about OpenSolaris the better.

1. teknopaul

Forgot to mention the fact that after Oracle pruchase lots of OS effort changed from Java to nodejs, as run by the Linux Foundation. Node now has the biggest OS library of code of any ecosystem. Bigger than Java.

I dont know how many devs stopped working on OS Java when Oracle got involved and move to node. But I certainly did.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

"what does MSFT do beside working on a free texteditor that they forked of Atom texteditor."

Well if you completely ignore the fact MS is one of the largest open source contributors out there, you're spot on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netsuite ..

Has the Netsuite team made a real NET + benefit this time ?

1. graceturner

Re: Netsuite ..

Yes, the Netsuite team has indeed delivered a tangible net benefit with their latest update, offering enhanced functionality and efficiency that positively impacts users' workflows and overall experience.

If anyone has issues with NetSuite Accounting, they can visit Ledger Labs. They are providing NetSuite ERP Services from NetSuite Integration to Bookkeeping.

6. steviebuk Silver badge

I guess its passion...

...to want to stay in the company you founded that became massive but is potentially on its way out. I guess that's why people like Larry stay. I'd just sell up and enjoy the money. But then I guess that's why I'll never have the money or success Larry's had.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline should read:

<<Oracle moves it's revenue apples around the barrel, in order to please the analysts and keep Big Dog Larry n his bitches' options still looking good.>>

When Larry passes, and can no longer sue everyone, the emerging biopic is going to be an awesome movie that will make 'the Wolf of Wall Street' look like'La La Land.' Or should that be, 'Cloudy with a Chance....'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Cloudy with a Chance....'

of Sueballs?

8. aazmi615@gmail.com

The difference between fully autonomous and fully managed is TITANIC.

AWS, Microsoft, and Google already offer very competitively priced fully managed Oracle database cloud services.

A fully autonomous database is different because it can, in real time and without any human action, detect and respond to security threats. Take the most basic scenario. In case of a DoS attack, the database will detect a usage spike, distinguish between a legitimate spike caused by seasonality or a sales promotion AND a spike caused by an attack.

This capability is achieved in one of two ways: either a rule based engine, which needs to be constantly maintained and updated by humans just like a virus detection program. Or via machine learning models which require training on large sets of historical attack profile data.

If Oracle's autonomous database uses machine learning, WHO supplies the threat detection model training data? Oracle or the customer? Also, is the cost of continuous model training (to handle emerging threats) bundled in the price of the service or requires a renewable paid professional services contract?

Oracle keeps shooting themselves in the foot with BS marketing. The only people left working there are the dead beats who can't get a job at a real tech company. Oracle is DEAD.

9. aazmi615@gmail.com

The level of BS in Oracle marketing is without equal. In any cloud service, availability and security are the provider's responsibility and customers only care about the vendor meeting the SLA. Nobody cares HOW AWS or Google patch or secure anything. In the cloud, customers care about SLAs. What a bunch of camel dung.

10. PNGuinn
    Paris Hilton

Yes

So, Coracle up the creek without a paddle?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The express elevator to hell!

ORCL stock is down 9.5% the following day.

The market seems unconvinced.

12. Secta_Protecta

The Proof of the Pudding...

It seems to me that the financial results pretty much reflect Oracle's strategy which is to move as much as possible to the(ir) cloud. Yes they're behind the big players but only time will tell how much of their existing customer base they can move to, and keep in, their cloud. The days of big bad Larry and the opaque licensing/pricing models are over, Thomas Kurian and others are driving the business in a much more positive way and it'll be interesting to see where Oracle stands in a couple of years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Proof of the Pudding...

They just let him go.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like