back to article SAP HANA: Concerns remain over tech skills, complexity, licensing – survey

Customer confusion and a lack of technical skills are still dogging migration to SAP HANA, but the days of deployment horror stories are fading, according to a report penned by an integrator. The ERP giant launched its in-memory data platform SAP HANA in late 2010, but the firm had problems conveying what it actually was, and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope, avoiding an expensive on-prem upgrade from R3 along with the expensive pre-requisite "pre-upgrade checks" in order to get to a position (HANA on prem) to even think about expensively migrating to HANA in the cloud - which ultimately is a bandaid for poor code by putting it all into RAM.

Anonymous 'cos SAP are litigious and would probably get a gang of rabid lawyers on me to make me retract what I said :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nobody trusts SAP, looks like an ideal time to launch an ERP company!

Recently spoke to my SAP account manager. I can't get a figure for the number of customers using HANA without also using S4HANA. Looks lke the people using it are only there because it's part of SAP's cloud stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know about 30-50 SAP customers that are also customers of my late employer. Middle sized businesses most of them, not a big corporations. Almost all of them use HANA already, most of them since 3-4 years and most of them in production. And all of them, like, ALL, used it together with classic R3, running on top of classic oracle database. I've never even heard about anyone having any ideas to even try S4. This is dead product in my opinion. HANA is very good piece of modern reporting solution for R3. End of story.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's got nowt to do with customer confusion or lack of technical skills. SAP is SAP and does what SAP always does. No one wants to go through the ridiculously convoluted "upgrade" process simply to tie themselves into a staggeringly expensive proprietary appliance. It's not the 90s any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's not the 90s any more."

It is if you're a big lard arse company with a huge customer base and needlessly complex and dysfunctional processes. You, know, like most major energy suppliers, water companies, telcos and large ISPs. AC because I've worked for a number of these, and it very definitely still is 1990, and the managers are more than happy for that remain the case.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course you can terminat your relationship with SAP

But we are not in a position to help you securely move your terabytes of data securely over the internet, or by physical HDD (from somewhere on the planet), or licence you to multiple real time data feeds to parallel run.

Big data in the cloud, is big problem, particularly if it is a volatile set running your organisation. Contractual lock in by customer choice, the vendor doesn't even have to shaft you any more...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Centiq surveyed 250 UK punters of varying sizes about their opinions and experiences with SAP HANA, finding 68 per cent of respondents claimed SAP HANA had delivered its return on investment, and 75 per cent said projects were finished on time, on budget or both."

Yeah right.

Ok, it might be true for infinite budget and infinite time. Even then 25% never gets finished.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019