back to article Game of Thrones showrunners to make Star Wars flicks

Game of Thrones fans hoping that showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss might spend more time in Westeros will have to visit a galaxy far, far away instead after Disney signed the pair for a series of Star Wars flicks. Details are scarce: Disney's only said the pair will "write and produce" a "series" of indeterminate length …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I approve.

2. Aladdin Sane
    Alert

I've got a bad feeling about this.

1. Crisp

The possibility of successfully navigating a field of this hype is approximately 3,720 to 1.

1. Ochib

Never tell me the odds

2. CentralCoasty
        Happy

---->"The possibility of successfully navigating a field of this hype is approximately 3,720 to 1."

Which happens about 50% of the time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would Disney approve...

sex scenes in Star Wars?

Maybe it will be the only way to keep it up, eventually.... it's always an effective way to distract a good share of viewers from the plot, while blood gets away from the brain.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Would Disney approve...

sex scenes in Star Wars?

Without Carrie Fisher or Natalie Portman? How's that going to happen?

However, if true this sounds like Disney is trying to poach TV talent that can be fed into the franchise machine.

GoT is good because it isn't a franchise, because it had Martin's involvement in it early on and he has lots of screenplay experience, and most importantly because HBO wanted to be different from both the networks and Hollywood by giving producers more freedom.

2. Alister

Re: Would Disney approve...

Maybe it will be the only way to keep it up

Hmm?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Star Wars - That's great!

Especially now that contemporary artists / sci-fi writers / VFX gurus with their original ideas relevant for present day, suddenly all died of plague!!!

4. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Charles Stross

Ok, that blog post is just about the single most entertaining thing I've read in a long time. It's actually a joy to read such an insight into the world of Sci Fi from someone like him. I recommend reading that to anyone with even a passing interest in the genre.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1 - Small extract:

"If your travel times are rubberized, you implicitly kneecapped the economics of trade in your futurescape."

2. ssharwood

Re: Charles Stross

We scour the net so you only have to read footnotes in clickbait to stay on top of things

5. Jedit Silver badge
    Devil

Another tragically missed headline

THRONES SHOWRUNNERS SWAP NOOKIE FOR WOOKIEES

Number of knights who fancy their sister remains constant

6. Timbo 1
    FAIL

It's fluffy bunny wunny Disney though....

....doesn't matter the writers, producers, or directors.

But if they subcontracted a series to someone like Netflix we might just be able to get something pretty decent and still in line with the Star Wars genre/feel.

Wishful thinking though. :(

7. tentimes

Charles Stross is right.

Your friend/colleague has the right idea about world building. It is a laborious, intimate and requires you to expand your brain in space and time - i.e. think REALLY hard - possibly for years. And, to me, you have to do that before you really invest in any of your characters or ideas as EVERYTHING is a function of the world dynamics. And by World I really mean Universe. But worldbuilding can also turn into a neverending masturbation. I think you also need to have a conscious process running outside the worldbuilding to guide it and not have it be an end in itself. At least this is what I think and I haven't even written my first book yet. But I think I am at least partly correct.

8. nkuk

the spacecow milking continunes

Disney sure is milking the franchise for all its worth. Its already become too diluted and dull. If you are making a conveyor belt of movies for the sole purpose of making money, it loses its prestige and appeal.

China has already had enough of the IP, the rest of the world is losing interest movie by movie, so by the time these are released there may be few people that care enough to make it worthwhile.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: the spacecow milking continunes

Right, Disney has sure butchered the franchise that had otherwise reached its apotheosis with the delightful and engaging Episodes I - III and Lucas's endless reworking of the original trilogy.

</sarcasm>

Jesus, has everyone forgotten that there were basically no good Star Wars movies between Return of the Jedi and Rogue One?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the spacecow milking continunes

but, but, but spacemilk...

9. Mike Moyle

Somehow, "Mother of Speederbikes" just doesn't seem to have the same cachet...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon