back to article Former HP workers one small step closer to throwing one giant sueball at tech goliath

A group of ex-HP staffers who claim they were discriminated against due to their age have been granted the right to together keep fighting an arbitration case against the IT giant. The biz tried to block them from taking joint action in the latest phase of the saga, which began back in August 2016 – a tactic it has used before …

1. Miss Lincolnshire

We all know the whole thing was about getting rid of the older and more expensive staff but I couldn't care less anymore. I got my payoff money along with nice lump sum AVC and I went straight into contract work with a far more pleasant company.

The fact is that working away from HP/HPE/DXC is far less stressful than staying. Life is too short to dwell on the motives of the scumbag leadership you left behind.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

By making this painful for HP these 15 are making other "scumbags" less likely to do the same thing. For that we should be grateful.

1. Miss Lincolnshire

I wouldn't criticise them, I wish them well and I hope they have an effect. But dwelling on it is not for me, I have a living to earn and second career to build.

Fact is HP/HPE/DXC is a toxic organisation and it deserves to fail. I won't be tipping up there again, even on contract rates.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Miss Lincolnshire

As a current (despite repeated escape attempts) CSC/DXC person, I raise a glass, and wish you well.

(I'm not leaving without my VR money!!)

A group of us, about 20, all CSC at some point, and all but two of us, me included for now, are now ex CSC/DXC. We meet every few weeks for a few drinks and a catch up (in the UK), not one person who escaped, and escape is the correct word here, has any regrets about leaving. Every single person bar one, walked straight into a new job, with a (mostly) nicer company, and for more money. The 'one' who didn't, took their VR money and basically traveled the World for two months, and then walked into a job that was already waiting for them when the got back.

The grass is most certainly greener outside of the toxic waste dump that is the entity now know as DXC.

2. Miss Lincolnshire

Best wishes to you too. There's a similar group, ex HPE, here too. All have done ok since they left. All a lot less stressed and happier for it.

3. Adrian 4

The HP Way

I wish Hewlett and Packard would return from the hereafter to bring vengeance on the people who have destroyed their good name.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy come, easy go, etc...

For someone who was shown the door in 2014 (August), maybe something will come of it. I really should bet in touch with the legal beagles to fine out if I fit in (I am getting old...).

Yes, I don't think Bill (who I have met) and Dave would recognize the place any more (*SIGH*).

But life goes on, and for a while, I moved up in the IP address space to another /8 but as a contractor I couldn't stay long. I'm still looking though. Wish me luck.

5. The Bloke next door

Not just HP

I could name another American company with a presence in the U.K that pulls the same stunt.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Not just HP

"pulls the same stunt"

exactly - age discrimination, ESPECIALLY in a society whose average age is significantly increasing, is a *MAJOR* future problem.

The only reason I can think of that might motivate people into "getting rid of" older people is the desire to hire 'cheaper' starving grads with way less experience. But you get what you pay for when you do that.

Seriously, I plan on working until I'm dead. If being over 'nn' years old screws your employment opportunity, something's wrong. I would think that capability would outweigh any other factor, in a SANE world anyway, and knowing which button to press often saves MANY hours of experimenting to find a solution (particularly one that's typically obvious to an experienced, OLDSTER employee).

damn younguns, OFF MY LAWN!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just HP

bombastic bob,

You know & I know that the world ain't sane !!!

These tricks will continue to be played, most American companies see EU/UK Employment law as a 'hurdle' to be overcome rather than 'complied' with !!!

There are many ways to 'game' the system and the current clowns Govt is not known for caring too much about the blatant two-fingers shown to the law.

Been there and got the Tee-shirt 15 Years ago (at least) and nothing has changed.

Usually you have to go the Tribunal route to get their attention and then it is a game of 'Who flinches first' !!!

It would be a much nicer world if simply knowing what you are doing & doing a good job was enough to ensure your future employment ...... unfortunately it is more about playing Office Politics and doing unto others before they do unto you !!!

Not my forte (I am NOT ruthless enough) and hence my Achillies Heel !!!

On the other hand, I am able to sleep at night :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like