back to article Tower ProLiants on the warpath: HPE takes on Dell 'n' white-box gang in SMB space

HPE has taken on Dell and the white boxers in the desktop and tower server space with promises of special, low-priced deals and faster ships. It has a new range of entry-level bundles of tower servers, software and Pointnext services from channel partners. These are intended to increase the partner sales cycle, improve attach …

1. peterm3
    Joke

"HPE has taken on Dell and the white boxers in the desktop and tower server space with promises of special, low-priced deals and faster ships."

Makes it sound like you get a free speedboat thrown in!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like the microservers

But there's no iLO in the gen10 version, so no remote admin. The earlier ones make great little Linux boxes which make less noise than my laptop.

3. Mr Dogshit

What's the deal with firmware updates?

Do you have to sign up for a support agreement?

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: What's the deal with firmware updates?

> Do you have to sign up for a support agreement?

Not while they are in warranty

Sadly they are restricting access to the core system FW updates after that :-(

2. TonyJ Silver badge

"..Do you have to sign up for a support agreement?.."

Not under warranty.

Register the device and you get access for the duration

3. The Electron

If you are running CentOS/RHEL, you can add their support repos and receive free updates, and install their monitoring software to interface to SNMP and iLO (email alerts when things go bang). My two ML310 Gen8 v2 servers are still supported that way. For Windoze, you need to find a download site hosting their SPP roll-up ISO image. There are plenty out there.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Rapid shipping

"HPE told us this simplification means "special low pricing "- customers can buy or subscribe - and quick shipping as the products are always in stock and ready to ship from its partners. That means next day or maybe even the same day if the order gets in early enough, it claimed."

Great, can those of us in the non-SMB space get the same deal? I just put in a server order, and I expect to see them in three months or so, assuming that HPE can be arsed to ship them to the right location.

5. redneck

No epyc towers

too bad there aren't any AMD epyc or ryzen towers. If there were, I'd buy one today. I'm not buying a new Xeon tower system that could have a 30% performance hit due to an Intel fumble.

6. Jove Bronze badge

kellogg's corn flakes

Some one pick-up the idea from the old practice of shipping plastic toys in packets of Kellogg's corn flakes?

7. Biggered

Used to be a big fan of these but less so now.

The hardware is good, although the iLo functionality is questionable on some of the newer editions.

The killer for me is the inability to get the firmware (BIOS) support after the warranty expiry unless you exchange some green stuff. This has killed the 2nd user market and makes Dell a better choice for support longevity. Short sighted approach from HP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019