back to article Dell confirms: We're either going public – or VMware's gobbling us (or nothing will happen)

Tech titan Dell has confirmed in paperwork submitted to America's financial watchdog that it is mulling returning to the stock market as a public company, combining with its subsidiary VMware, or, er, doing nothing. The schedule 13D SEC filing by VMware, dated January 31 and published today, states: Dell Technologies is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mickey should print his rants ahout how great a Private Mickey House will be

Mickey should print his rants ahout how great a Private Mickey House will be. And eat them. With mustard.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just glad they cleared that up.

3. dnicholas Bronze badge

It's clear as mud then

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing intelligent to say here,

just a question. Isn't all this a big shell game?

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: Nothing intelligent to say here,

Yes, with laser focus.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or this could be that they are clamming up.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well no, because EMC has 80% of VMware stock, even selling 30% would be a chunk of change to use to reduce they now no longer tax deductible debt load.

5. yankee77wi

What to do?

How about, do the IPO - then return all the money and apologize!

6. Boohoo4u

Sounds a bit like Ponzi scheme. I can see why VMWARE stockholders are bailing, it sounds like they’re about to get hosed. Hello dilution.

P.S Thanks Mr. Dell for telling us tech stocks are overvalued!

7. HmmmYes Silver badge

Dear vmware shareholder and employee,

You may remember mine and PEs great idea of borrowing lods of money and, errr, paying ourselves lots of money whilst err we do really clever stuff that needs us to be paid lots of money.

Well.... due to unforseen circumstances from 2 years ago ... bond yields and IRs are rising - despite paying ourselves billions we never modelled that.

Oh and Trumps done some tweaks which our genius ideas are less genius.

So, considering all options - which dont include sacking Mikey and PE - weve decided to leach on vmwares cash flow.

Yours

Special mikey.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Financial Engineering

I was wondering where our R&D money had got to, I guess it went to the banking side of the house.

Sadly that's what's taken down all the IT giants, maybe it's time to grab a couple friends and start selling desks out of my garage.

9. Triumphantape

Honest question

Does Dell make anything worth using?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Honest question

Pivotal Cloud Foundry is good if expensive.

Dell laptops aren't bad in their current form. Mine is comparable with the Lenovo that replaced it, and I actually prefer the Dell keyboard.

1. baspax

Re: Honest question

Pivotal is being spun off and sold according to rumors.

10. steviebuk Silver badge

Funny that because...

... it was always said Michael Dell was an arsehole. Out of all the people that were on or asked to appear on Computer Chronicles Stuart said Michael Dell was unfriendly.

11. Pietre

Beginning of the fall for Michael Dell ?

Being a privately held company inthe US has it's pros and cons especialy if there is little

change in laws that have significannt impact to corporation. Mr Dell and team made the right decision for the time to achieve the market dominiation they envisioned.

Then comes along a President who knows the corporate game and tax loopholes well. Said President then puts in place a tax reforms plan that greatly reduces corporate tax with (one hopes) the expectation that corporations will use that break to re-invest within the US and make "off-shoring" less attractive.Mr Dell and team probably did not expect such reform.

IMO, if Mr Dell and team still believe going private was the best strategic move to gain market dominance then they should stay the course and continue to trailblaze. Otherwise going public indicates weakness in leadership's strategic vision and planning altered by a blinded obsession over reducing debt, which could always be restructured.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019