back to article Come by. Away. Walk on. That'll do. Oh, um, we're just rounding up the lambs of storage

El Reg's storage sheepdog has been out on the hill and gathered a flocklet of storage news. Our tenacious collie has found seven new arrivals; one that's been lurking around for five years and another is an existing woolie promoted. But there are impressive rams as well among these two moving lumps of old mutton. Cohesity …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheepdog...

... is also a free storage cluster itself.

https://sheepdog.github.io/sheepdog/

(Surprised that things like Ceph and Glusterfs don't get a mention either, despite having commercial backing form RedHat)

1. Platypus

Re: Sheepdog...

As a Gluster developer, I don't mind the omission this time (though other times I've found it unjustifiable and irksome). This article seems to be about new or at least significantly changed companies. Neither Gluster nor Ceph fits that template. There's no new funding, new products, new partnerships, or C-suite drama to generate headlines. We're kind of boring TBH.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bull$hyte

Ok, enough of that propaganda.

$6m in Vmware savings? Do you really think we are stupid and don't know how much Vmware costs??

Vsphere Enterprise Plus support is $800 per socket per year and I really doubt that a school is running EPL, more likely VSP Standard which is around $300/year/socket.

If they are saving SIX MEEEELLION DOLLARS, it means they were running 2,500 sockets under Enterprise Plus, which they have now somehow consolidated down to 100 sockets. Which btw would cost only $240k for 3 years with Vsphere Enterprise Plus.

Seriously dude, this is insulting the intelligence of your readership.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bull$hyte

Lol my math was off. They allegedly ran 7,500 sockets. Ridiculous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like