back to article Data centre mergers and acquisitions hit $20bn in 2017 feeding frenzy

The temperature is rising in the hot aisle for data centre businesses – $20bn was spent on mergers and acquisitions last year. Synergy Research Group data says the 2017 total doubled the figure from the year before, which itself was well up on 2015. There was almost one significant M&A deal closed each week on average in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unlucky for customers

The idea that larger players have greater economies of scale is self evident. But I can't help feeling that all those savings won't be passed on to customers, but the accumulated deal premiums probably will. So all this M&A is good for boardroom fiddlers, bankers and lawyers, but bad news for customers of these companies, who can expect double digit price rises for the next few years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unlucky for customers

I hear what you are saying, but I do not think we are [yet] close to so few choices that competition will not keep prices moving in a direction favorable to those that are leasing space.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Unlucky for customers

Nah, also unlucky for customers due to the clusterf*uck the way these m&as are executed. Not that I have front row seat over here or anything..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like