back to article Disk drives spin, are you listening? In the lane, servers glistening...

It's been a crazy storage news year with a furious blitz of announcements and events, some of which stand out more than others. This is my personal selection of the main news events, some still ongoing, that impressed me during the year. First up is the longest-running one of all – Toshiba's chip business sale. Toshiba chip …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Dunno about the article but full marks to the title.

1. Alistair Silver badge
      Windows

@Dr Syntax:

I just came to the comments to see if anyone had finished the lyrics.....

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Those LED lights

A beautiful sight

Walking in a data wonderland

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NetApp HCI??

Really? Pray tell, what exactly is the advantage of NetApp HCI vs FlexPod SF? Because they are basically the same product except that with NetApp HCI I now have to rely on NetApp's server expertise (ROFL) and get the privilege to choose from four or five SuperMicro servers. Instead of sizing my compute exactly to my needs, I have to fit MY needs into NetApp's non-existing server franchise offerings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DSSD? Saw that a mile off

This emperor had no clothes. Was it seven years to get the product to market? And then sold less than Violin. What were all those people doing? I was in a couple of meetings with their CTO. Nice marketing technique, but he never answered the substantive questions and always had to be important somewhere else when the questions were closing in.

4. Jim Preis

You said, 'edging' hhuhhuh-huh huh

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DSSD

Several peeps had been to this dance before and vociferously declared that D5 was not a mass consumable device. Bugatti like performance and price limited available market. But when does reality ever affect business decisions. So ahead of the dell acquisition they killed off the D2 which would address a much larger market at a much better price point. All I can say is the 2015 Conan parody does really nail it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeiI8cd5rO4

6. Storage Guy

. . . Gone away is the storage admin

Here to stay is the cloud admin

7. Storage Guy

. . . who tiers to Azure

As data becomes a blur

8. Storage Guy

With Plateau we can build a dashboard

And present it to the CTO

He’ll say “are we saving money?”

We’ll say “no man, but you can do the job when you’re in town.”

------

Come on, a little help here please

9. Storage Guy

. . . Later on we’ll conspire

As we fsck the filer

10. Storage Guy

To face the unafraid, the infrastructure we made

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019