back to article Lifestyle pin-up site Pinterest: Hack attempts blamed on 'credential stuffing'

There’s a chill going around cyberspace with an upsurge of people concerned that their Pinterest account has been hacked. Searches for the term “Pinterest hacked” spiked last week while "pinterest password" started to trend on Twitter. UK security researcher Scott Helme recently reported that his Pinterest account had been …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

So yeah, how's that cloud thing working for ya?

I NEVER get tired of saying this!

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: So yeah, how's that cloud thing working for ya?

Pinterest is mostly other people's content. So a "hack" gives hackers email, name and password.

Problem is people using same password for everything. A little address book at the least.

Also anything important never stored with phone/tablet/PC.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Parisite

Copyright and other images "pinned"

You often can't find where from

You have to sign up and be privacy harvested to view.

Fed up with Google returning Pinterest (a parasite) and youtube at top of results.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Parisite

As far as I can tell the point of Pinterest is to pollute every image search query with useless results. That and the usual social media data slurp.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

try -pinterest -youtube in your search....you'll be pleasantly surprised. -stock is also a good one to avoid nothing but Getty Images

1. Mage Silver badge

-pinterest -youtube -stock

a) Shouldn't have to. I do that.

b) Curiously STILL returns many!

Google search is much poorer than it used to be and prioritises sites they know I've been to. I can work a browser. Put a check box (empty by default) for those wanting a bookmarker service!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'100s of more valuable accounts'

100's? I have 5 and its still too many. Don't know how anyone has any trust left in the current system. Sleepless nights... We've lost the 'data wars' to hackers / cybercrims. We all just live in cyber glass houses now. They only need to throw a stone and hit once, whereas we need constant protection!

4. Cuddles Silver badge

Doesn't sound complicated

"Scott Helme recently reported that his Pinterest account had been temporarily frozen after someone attempted to log into his account, seemingly from Egypt.

"The worrying thing is that I use a @1Password generated password that isn't re-used on any other service, so I'm not sure how someone could have logged into my account," Helme said in a Twitter update."

Someone attempted to log into his account. Since he used a unique, generated password they did not succeed. So what exactly is it that he finds worrying? His unique, generated password worked exactly as intended. Why is he worrying about people logging into his account when his own story says that no-one actually did so?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019