back to article Secret HPE AI chip, TensorFlow updates, neural networks writing themselves – and more

It's been an interesting fortnight, sorry, two weeks in AI. In addition to what we've already reported, we have news about HPE developing what looks like a neural network accelerator chip, TensorFlow updates, Google's effort to teach software to make software, and other bits and pieces. HPE’s ‘neural network processor’? The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A matrix of meh-ristors

"“Probabilistic programming languages (PPLs) solve these problems by marrying probability with the representational power of programming languages. A probabilistic program is a mix of ordinary deterministic computation and randomly sampled values.”"

I'm fairly ignorant in this area (except for what I read on the El Reg, oy) but it strikes me that this approach notes the 'apparent randomness' of a real neural network, and kinda 'fakes' that randomness in a purely logical digital realm by shoehorning it in. It's interesting stuff, but I don't see how this approach can really replicate a NN's ability to adapt in a very complex way to inputs.

As I say tho, I'm not an expert here.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: A matrix of meh-ristors

"Probabilistic Programming" has nothing to do withz Neural Networks and pattern recognition. Rather, it is about constructing models of some real-world system expressed as statememts, (e.g. "there is an earthquake" or "the burglar alarm is on"), conditional probabilities (e.g. "if there is an earthquake then the burglar alarm is on with p=0.9") or à priori probabilities (e.g. "probability of a burglary is 0.1", "probability of a false alarm is 0.05"). One then wants to ask things likes what is the probability of a burglary given that the burglar alarm is on and there was an earthquake?

See this introduction from a Manning book about a probabilistic programming language based on Scala: Probabilistic programming in a nutshell or this lecture at ETAP 2016: Structure and Interpretation of Probabilistic Programs.

Why Uber feels the need to invent Yet Another Probablistic Programming System is beyond me, but so it goes.

2. Joerg

Then HP will add RSA signed certificates to lock the firmware ?

Then HP will add RSA signed certificates to lock the firmware ?

Just like it does with its notebook BIOS .. not allowing customers to even change a WiFi card...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Then HP will add RSA signed certificates to lock the firmware ?

Stay away from that crap. Don't ask for quotes, blacklist, hide.

Why We Must Fight for the Right to Repair Our Electronics: Pending U.S. legislation could force manufacturers to make repair parts and information available at fair prices

3. Jaybus

Very nice

HP has long been working on memristor design, and use of memristors in an analog computer has been the goal. Good to see that it might just work.

4. steelpillow Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Here weg, here we go, here...

I guess Google's next step ought to be getting their AI neural network designer to design a better AI neural network designer, wrap it in a recursive loop and go for a coffee.

Stick /that/ on your memristors, HPE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019