back to article NASA reveals Curiosity 2020's 23-camera payload

NASA's revealed its Curiosity 2020 mission will pack 23 cameras. That's a half-dozen more the current Curiosity's 17 cameras, and way ahead of the Pathfinder mission's measly five (two on the lander and three on the Sojourner rover). The Jet Propulsion Laboratory announcement explains what all these cameras are for. …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

That's not a rover camera pack

THIS is a rover camera pack!

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

When will the name change?

Curiosity 2021, ... Curiosity 202X ...

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: When will the name change?

If the portents are correct:- 2027, 2028, 202X - with alien face recognition. Or a fuzzy keyboard.

And reduced operational capabilities...

1. dkjd

launch window to Mars is every 26 months, so 2027, 2029 203X would be more accurate. There will never be a 2028.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. ColonelClaw

I can't make up my mind between Curiosity One X and Curiosity Pro

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

I still contend they should name it Curiosity 2: Nuclear Boogaloo

For bonus points, it is launch/arrival date agnostic.

3. ukgnome
    Trollface

I thought the military team living on mars could just bolt on a new camera to the old rover.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

I will just point at this collection ...

if ever my missus complains I have too many cameras. Hey, I have just 2 regular DSLRs, one astro-modded one, and three different planetary CMOS cameras (one monochrome of solar H-alpha, one monochrome hi-res for solar Ca-K and white light, and lunar, and one colour for planets).

I could also just count her shoes again

1. Bob Wheeler
      Joke

Re: I will just point at this collection ...

"I could also just count her shoes again"

I can't count that high........

5. kryptonaut
    Holmes

Noodliness

“Scanning Habitable Environments with Raman & Luminescence for Organics & Chemicals”

This must be checking for evidence of the FSM?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Noodliness

No, I think you've misunderstood. The idea is that the scanner is looking for life. So what it does is to extrude some tasty, soupy, noodly goodness. Then warm it up with the laser, and see what aliens are attracted by the aroma.

Basically this rover is the first interplanetary delivery service. I wonder why they didn't choose pizza?

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Noodliness

It would have costed too much dough...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

But is there a selfie camera?

Once corporate space missions begin, we can look forward to "Musk Rover 2030, sponsored by Samsung", to continue their event based marketing like paying celebrities to tweet a selfie with a Samsung phone at awards shows.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: But is there a selfie camera?

There's lots of 'celebrities' I'd like to see tweeting selfies from Mars (after a one-way trip)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But is there a selfie camera?

Yes: WATSON does that, I think (it can look at the Rover).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's needs a Dyson...

They need to fit a Dyson vacuum (or should I say DirtDevil?) to the arm too to remove the dust from Curiosity's surfaces.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: It's needs a Dyson...

Mars dust, similar to moon dust is highly charged and sticks like shit on a rug. Using a vacuum could make it worse and suck more dust onto the surface.

1. Annihilator

Re: It's needs a Dyson...

Plus I’m not sure how well a vacuum cleaner would work in the near vacuum of Mars! A can of compressed air might be more useful. Or violently destructive.

8. 0laf
    Facepalm

I did think one of the cameras was noodle based for a moment

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: noodle based

Is this mission being funded by pastafarians?

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

" video of a parachute opening on another planet" is not frivilous

Testing a very large (and it will be very large) parachute opening in an atmosphere < 1/160 that of Earth SL pressure is virtually impossible.

This could make a major contribution to better (smaller) parachute design

And how far we've come.

20Mpixel camera --> 450g.

10. phuzz Silver badge

I assume they'll be slightly upgrading the wheels from the ones on Curiosity.

11. Pen-y-gors

20 megapixels?

How fat a data pipe will they have to upload all those goodly pixels? Or will they just write to a load of 256GB cards and wait for someone to come and collect them?

12. cray74
    Facepalm

23 cameras and yet...

NASA will still have to explain how the rovers can take a selfie. Five years on and every NASA Facebook rover selfie post still has someone screaming, "Fake! It's from outside the rover and no one else is there!"

1. Captain DaFt

Re: 23 cameras and yet...

NASA will still have to explain how the rovers can take a selfie.

Factoid: Every rover's AI is equipped to recognize a roman style helmet.*

Upon spotting one, it politely asks, "Excuse me, Marvin the Martian, could you take my camera and snap a pic of me for the folks back home? Thank you sir."

*This is also how it knows how to avoid taking picture of Martians.

1. Chris 239

No, Marvin was not a Martian and he spent the 576,000,003,579 years from 2 M years ago until the end of the universe on Magrathea not Mars.

Oh! you mean the Disney character? he's just a cartoon character, not real you know.

1. IT Poser

Marvin the Martian was a Warner Bros creation. We know Marvin hasn't been assimilated yet because he hasn't been forced to give up his quest for galactic domination to become a talk show host.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Gene Cash Silver badge

Microphone

There's also a microphone. It's the 3rd attempt to capture sounds on Mars.

It's actually supposed to hear the ZAP from the laser vaporizing samples, and they want to correlate the loudness of the zap to the amount vaporized.

However, when it's not doing that, it'll still be on to hopefully capture wind, dust devils, footsteps, Martians talking, amanfrommars1 composing his posts, etc.

14. Pedigree-Pete
    Mushroom

Laser...

"Fire that laser one more time and I'll introduce you to the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator!" Marvin. :)PP

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUJfYcn3V4

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like