back to article UK spy oversight body updates rules to include right of appeal

The UK government is planning a number of “significant” changes to the rules governing spy oversight body the Investigatory Powers Tribunal. The IPT, the only judicial body that can hear complaints against spies, was established under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act back in 2000. Seventeen years on, the government …

1. Warm Braw

The six-week consultation closes on 10 November...

...at the moment the clocks strike thirteen.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: The six-week consultation closes on 10 November...

Wouldn't that mean it never closes?

I think you mean "The six-week consultation closes when the Home Secretary has had their say, at which time all dissenting opinions will become thoughtcrime".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Captain DaFt

Re: The six-week consultation closes on 10 November...

Of course, the word "consultation" could be interpreted very broadly...

I thought that in cases like this, the meaning is very precise:

"Listen only to those that either tell us what we want to hear, or tell us what we told them to say."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So I can appeal to a secret court with documents I might not see to challenge the decision.

That's great and about as useful as c*ck ring on a eunuch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is the idea

So the idea they have is that you can appeal against actions taken against you that you wont be informed to, behind closed doors and no documents. They call this democracy, but somehow it seems as democratic as the democratic republic of germany.. somehow we said that was bad and we say our own is good.

Yet people continue to vote for this, so they sadly agree.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That is the idea

That's the crux of this, nobody voted for it. I don't remember any manifesto containing any of this and there is no manifesto against it so in reality we are stuck with successive governments adding more powers that are open to abuse the general population and there isn't anything we can do about it. Even the "supposed" intended aim of these powers is not even looking like being resolved any time soon or ever for that matter. I hope at some point someone calls out one of these politicians when they next claim that we live in a democracy because we most certainly do not.

2. Hollerithevo

Actually...

A c*ck ring would work on a eunuch. That's not the bit that gets cut off. The bit that remains still has its hydraulics.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Actually...

A c*ck ring would work on a eunuch. That's not the bit that gets cut off. The bit that remains still has its hydraulics.

Depends, sometimes the whole kit is removed. I'll spare you the gory details, and just post the last step before bandaging:

"A goose quill was inserted in Sun’s urethra to prevent it getting blocked as the wound healed." from "The Last Eunuch Of China" by Yinghua Jia

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh well, that's allright, then...

4. Harry Stottle

Appeal Schemeil

Until they facilitate giving a publicly trusted independent auditor access, on demand, to an immutable audit trail revealing everything that took place, when and why, its all Accountability Theatre

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

"so in reality we are stuck with data fetishists adding more powers "

FTFY.

What makes you think this has anything substantive to do with people who can actually be removed?

Rudd will be the 9th ( ro 10th) sock puppet to say whatever the cabal who deal with this tell her.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon