back to article Yahoo! search! results!, recommendations!, ad! flinging! code! is! now! open! source!

Oath, the Verizon-owned parent of Yahoo!, has forsworn control of Yahoo!'s search code, known as Vespa, and turned it into an open-source project. Having nothing at all to do with scooters, the software provides a way to query structured and unstructured data, to organize and rank results, and to write data at scale. It's a …

1. Semtex451
    Happy

Vespa- It means wasp, it doesn’t mean moped.

Thanks for that article I learned something

2. Mark 85

What? They're going open source instead of monetizing this? I'm stunned...

3. Florida1920
    Angel

Just! When! I! Thought! We'd! Seen! The! End! Of!!!!!

Make it stop! Make it stop!

4. Steve Knox
    Meh

"Vespa is the single greatest piece of software Yahoo ever built,"

High praise indeed.

This post was brought to you by the Sarcasm Standards Institute. If your sarcasm detector registered a 7.3, it is properly calibrated. Have a nice day.

5. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

What's a Yahoo! ?

6. tiggity Silver badge

It's a shame Yaoo! lost their way, they (amongst the dross) did some good stuff. I fondly remember their maps APIs that for a long time were way better than MS & Google (especially if you wanted to do server side stuff rather than JS browser based maps), & things like Flickr are still a great image resource (good stuff such as allowing people to set image "rights" so it was nice and easy to see what images could be used with attribution, for non commercial use, needed payment etc. )

7. Spacedinvader
    FAIL

El! Reg! getting! lazy! Yahoo's! !! is! italicised!

8. Alister
    Thumb Up

Oath, the Verizon-owned parent of Yahoo!, has forsworn control of Yahoo!'s search code

Well played, that man!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like