The current idea's batsh*t crazy.
For proof I offer that it's a greenie government scheme.
So change it a tad so that, to the above it's a goer.
1. More than 3 vehicles.
2. Driver in the first vehicle. (for the moment, got to consider public opinion), but all vehicles ("identical "- must meet certain "Standards"). Others fully controlled by the first.
3. Front vehicle to control all the others by secure* radio link.
4. *Add that bit 'cos it'll reassure everyone.
5. Internet connection essential.
6. Well, because. Just do it. You never know when it'll come in handy.
7. The CAN(t) bus'll have to come into it somewhere.
8. Because. (See 6 above if you've got any technical doubts.)
9. Build in an entertainment option. Because.
Can anyone not see where this is leading?
Assume that, for example, there was to be some slight interference with the signals.
The rear starts to lorry drops back just slighty and looses contact with the one in front. At 59.999999 mph.
Or the following lorries begin to drift out and in just ever to slightly.
Or the third lorry suddenly thinks it's seen a fox. Or an elephant. And applies the emergency anchors. In the wet. On a bend.
The opportunities for causing remote mayhem must be endless.
From anywhere. Roll up, roll up, watch the carnage from the bridge or on the hacked surveillance camera system .....