back to article Verizon kicks out hot new Unlimited* plans

US telecom goliath Verizon has replaced its single unlimited phone plan with four new options that all throttle video and bandwidth. The telco says that its four new plans will allow customers to get unlimited data allowances at a lower monthly cost – $75 for a single line and $40 per line in a bundle of 4 or more – so long as …

1. Alex Read

Can't grumble with the "verizon reasons" & "verizon contends" bits. Having a corrupt FCC not doing their job & allowing the lie of the term 'unlimited' I take issue with though...

1. Shadow Systems Silver badge

At Alex Read, re: unlimited.

Agreed. I wonder how fast it will be before some shyster lawyer (but I repeat myself) here in California decides to start a class action lawsuit against Verizon for false advertising.

1. TDog

Mark Twain

Suppose I were an idiot; and suppose I were a congressman.

But I repeat myself.

2. fidodogbreath Silver badge

As ever

The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

3. M7S

It's always busy on the roads I travel

Mostly as despite my paying a seeming fortune in road fund licences, the infrastructure is not maintained beyond a poor level, and as for the construction of additional capacity, one can but dream.

On reflection, their comparison is astonishingly apt.

1. ITS Retired

Re: It's always busy on the roads I travel

"Mostly as despite my paying a seeming fortune in road fund licences, the infrastructure is not maintained beyond a poor level, and as for the construction of additional capacity, one can but dream."

Wat? Upgrading and maintaining the equipment and use money earmarked for the CEO's salary and bonuses, to say nothing about the stock holders? Doing that ignores what is important here.

2. Da Weezil

Re: It's always busy on the roads I travel

If you are talking about the UK - it isnt "road fund licence" - now ha it been for many many years. It is vehicle excise duty (VED) - its a tax on "permission" to use the vehicle on a public highway - but unrelated to expenditure on roads, That link was abolished many years ago as it gave rise to drivers having expectations of decent expenditure on roads - rather than just being cash cows to be milked in any way possible.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I be the first to ask which dickhead coined the term "beyondunlimited"?

It's impossible you ark b idiots.

5. Mephistro Silver badge
    Megaphone

This looks more like...

...a job for the FTC.

"Unlimited Limited", FFS!

6. Mephistro Silver badge
    Angel

"We're doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network..."

Yeah, and also because it's ten times cheaper than upgrading your fucking infrastructure, you crooks!

The next step will be to broadcast everything at VHS quality so as to be able to accommodate yet more users in their prehistoric network.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "We're doing this to ensure all customers have a great experience on our network..."

on the other hand, who can tell the difference between 480p, 720p and 1080p streamed video on a 5" phone screen? Not defending them, but that part at least makes sense since it stops people wasting bandwidth.

7. Down not across Silver badge

Bait and switch

So, get a whole lot of new customers signed up on a promise of unlimited and then dump the plan. And while not technically not forcing change of plan on those customers, they are still enforcing same throttling.

Isn't that effectively bait and switch?

8. whoseyourdaddy

Not sure what your issue is...

720P isn't high enough for live video?

For $75 a month?

Seriously?

1. Cuddles Silver badge

Re: Not sure what your issue is...

"720P isn't high enough for live video?

For $75 a month?

Seriously?"

Yes, seriously. That's more than double what I'd pay here in the UK for an actual unlimited contract with no throttling or caps of any kind. And for which the USA is one of the countries I can travel to while still enjoying the same lack of of limits (other than tethering being restricted abroad). My current plan costs less than a quarter of that, and while it does have a limit on total download, there is still no throttling or limit on what I can use that data for. Streaming 4K video might hit my monthly cap rather quickly, but it's no-one's business but my own if I choose to do that.

1. whoseyourdaddy

"That's more than double what I'd pay here in the UK for an actual unlimited contract with no throttling or caps of any kind."

And, that affects us Americans how?

1. Cuddles Silver badge

"And, that affects us Americans how?"

You appeared surprised that people would consider $75 excessive for a heavily limited mobile service that restricts their ability to watch video to be expensive or unacceptable. The simple fact I pointed out is that that is, in fact, far more expensive and far more limited than the majority of the developed world expects. Your title says you're not sure what everyone's issue is; the issue is that you are being massively ripped off. You may not have a problem paying through the nose for such substandard service, but many people do. And bear in mind this is coming from someone in the UK, which is something of a laughingstock itself when it comes to both mobile and wired internet provision.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Yep, sorry 'mericans, you're getting ripped off.

Although the case could be made that it's a lot easier to build a mobile network somewhere like the UK or Japan, with a high population data meaning you can reach many subscribers with a few masts, rather than the US, where (outside of cities) each mast won't cover nearly as many paying subscribers.

9. Nate Amsden

need a new word

Unlimited just seems to get people upset. I remember back in the 90s how upset I was when I was on dialup on "unlimited" plans and ISPs would cut me off(because I was on 24/7 basically). All I was asking for is some clarification what the allowed usage was. At the time, the ISPs that I was using(all local ISPs) had no policies they were just arbitrary decisions "oops this person using too much kill that account". I was happy to pay more or get multiple ISPs if needed. Finally found an ISP at the time that actually told me what they allowed and I stuck with them until I moved out of the state.

So for me anyway I don't get upset with unlimited, as long as those terms are clearly spelled out, and Verizon seems to be doing so. I use AT&T and switched to their unlimited plan a few months ago (was on a 5GB plan before that). AT&T will throttle video as well but you can opt out (I did). I checked my mobile usage for the past 2 months under 2GB each month (I haven't turned wifi on since I got unlimited since it prevents AT&T from upgrading my Note 3 to Android 5 - last time I said that someone didn't believe me but the update screen specifically says wifi is required, and I have intercepted the update in the past by killing wifi and it stopped).

AT&T will throttle as well(like T-mo and Verizon) after some number, maybe 15GB or 20GB or something I forget.

Anyway I got unlimited mainly because I didn't want to worry about overage charges. Which as long as I stay in the U.S. (and maybe Canada but haven't been there in a long time) I'm good. Last year I went to Asia and even though I did my best to constrain usage (turned off data on my phone entirely most of the time) and had an international plan (800MB/month of data allowed phone calls were still $$), still managed to get bills in the $250-500 range for the 3 months I was away. (normal was $150/mo at the time, now is $99 with unlimited).

Seems some folks just want to have unlimited LTE speed, be able to download 10GB/day if their speeds permit it, and only pay $50/mo or something. While that would be nice, I just don't believe it's really scalable at that level of cost.

Shit 99% of the time I'd love to have a steady 5Mbps, carriers and stuff are talking about 5G and new CPUs fancy screens etc, and folks still haven't got good coverage on 4G yet, several busy places I go in a city of 200k and my data reception is basically 0(as in even DNS times out).

10. RLWatkins

Laissez faire at work

"We're doing this so we can claim customers are still getting what we told them they were buying, without in fact delivering it."

Isn't the EU full of network providers which actually have to adhere to rules governing quality of service and false advertising, and which are still *hugely profitable*?

11. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    WTF?

Resolution limits

... so they are sniffing my, say, Netflix streams, and detecting what resolution I'm using? What happened to SSL?

12. handleoclast
    FAIL

Post-modern advertising

Verizon offer "unlimited" which is limited.

For those who don't like their unlimited to be limited, Verizon offer "beyond unlimited" which is still limited.

Who the hell came up with that advertising? Donald J Trump?

On the FTC's page about truth in advertising, the first sentence reads:

When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence.

I don't see how Verizon's statements meet that standard.

Oh wait, somebody at Verizon just bunged me $10,000. Yep, those claims are fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

1. Commswonk Silver badge

Re: Post-modern advertising

Verizon offer "unlimited" which is limited.

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'unlimited' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Equally obviously with acknowledgements to Douglas Adams...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Limited Unlimited ... kind of like the "affordable" care act (aka ObamaCare)

14. JBFUK

Marketing scams

It's black and white really, something is unlimited or it's limited. There is no grey area. If limits of any kind are in place then they should not be allowed to advertise it as 'unlimited'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019