back to article You know what’s not so throttled at O2? UK sales. They're up 2.6%

Mobile operator Telefonica – AKA O2 – has posted an increase in sales in Blighty of 2.6 per cent to €1.6bn (£1.4bn) for its second quarter, with operating income before depreciation and amortisation (OIBDA) up 3.9 per cent to €433m. Group revenues rose 1.9 per cent to €12.96bn in the second quarter, while OIBDA increased 6.1 …

1. Haku
    Unhappy

You know what else is going up at O2?

Pay-as-you-go prices. https://www.o2.co.uk/pricing/f

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: You know what else is going up at O2?

O2 sell as new condition return phones on O2 Refresh. Mine is warranty to March 2018.

Pay upfront cost for phone with contract.Refresh contracts have a separate device and airtime payments. When you receive the phone request an unlock immediately. Once the unlock is in process call O2 and tell them that you are using their 14 day change of mind option.

Pay off the device plan and cancel the airtime.

Total cost for iPhone SE £119. Iphone 7 £277.

2. Fihart

Re: You know what else is going up at O2? @Haku

Looks like 02 are following EE by pricing out PAYG vermin. How can these companies justify 15p per text when they cost them too little to calculate ?

Solution is to quit -- Lebara, Giff Gaff, Three etc offer much better deals.

3. paulf
      Trollface

Re: You know what else is going up at O2?

@Haku

One thing stood out in that price list:

"Using Circuit Switched WAP via 915000 or +447712927927 in the UK and the rest of our Europe Zone"

People are still using circuit switched WAP (i.e. mobile dialup) in large enough numbers to keep providing the service on PAYG? Huge if true! Where is the shocked icon?

2. batfink

Depreciation of Sterling?

I see that an "analyst" thinks that this is behind what it should be, given the depreciation on Sterling. On what basis? What proportion of O2 UK's costs will have gone up due to Sterling's falls? Yes they have to buy transmission equipment and phones from overseas, but how does that compare to the onshore costs, and how much of those price increases have been passed on to the consumer, so don't represent a hit to the bottom line?

Come on El Reg - don't just publish throwaway comments like this in your copy without further analysis, or at least links to the supporting information...

3. djstardust

Maybe ....

But after this shenanigans with restricting EU data there will be a lot of pissed off customers coming back from their holidays.

Watch this space ......

4. truetalk
    WTF?

Amazed sales are up !

Personally I'm amazed sales are up, O2's coverage/maintainance of their equipment has not been great over the last few years, not fixing their stuff is certainly a quick way of reducing your debt. Despite many years with them I jumped ship and are now with BT/EE and it's certainly been an improvement in regards availability of 4G in the places i visit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like