back to article Uber, Twitter's legal eagles gather to wring claws about bro culture

Lawyers from Uber and Twitter spoke about ways to curb "bro culture" in the male-dominated world of Silicon Valley at an annual judicial conference this week. Salle Yoo, Uber’s chief legal officer, told the Ninth Circuit’s judicial conference in San Francisco that it is important to hire diverse teams, reported Law360. Uber …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

where we can’t operate with integrity

But spreading fake news is OK with you lawyers?

1. Cronus

Re: where we can’t operate with integrity

and here I was thinking it was Twitter's users that spread fake news.

2. asdf

Re: where we can’t operate with integrity

Could have went with using psychology research to unethically manipulate people (FB for sure, pretty sure twitter as well) or screwing workers out of benefits (or even collusion on salary) and even being considered an employee by law as the argument against integrity also.

2. Hollerithevo

Good luck with that

I wouldn't put money on the change. I have 23 years old men coming into my team that still don't get that the word is not 100% white guys (with the occasional Asian guy just coming into focus) with a few other lesser life forms floating around to be the target of jokes, leers and contempt.

The only thing that keeps me hanging on is the great guys who respect talent and brains no matter what outer wrapping it has.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good luck with that

> I have 23 years old men coming into my team that still don't get that the word is not 100% white guys

Usually a whack on the back of the head or and admonition not to be a cunt¹ fulfils the required pedagogical function very nicely.

¹ As appropriate to your organisation's culture.

3. asdf
    WTF?

real problem in SV

I have heard a lot of especially venture capital type males in Silicon Valley get plastic surgery to look young because that is where the money is (everyone looking for the next Zuckerberg). That is the problem, not enough adults in the room and even when there is they are trying to act like they are 27. That is how also something like that Fyre Festival fraud goes down (not in SV but same culture). Wisdom and life experience are sacrificed on the altar of disruption.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Muh diversity cargo cult

Twitter General Counsel Vijaya Gadde said that lack of diversity is a vicious cycle and discourages women from advancing in their fields.

“They’re withdrawing from the process, because they’ll walk into the room and the interview panel is all men,” she said.

But what of they are culturally diverse men and members of the LGBT "community"? Would that help?

5. EveryTime

The "Bro culture" is centered around San Francisco companies rather than the heart of silicon valley (Santa Clara, south San Francisco bay).

6. the Jim bloke
    Mushroom

Nuke the entire culture from orbit - its the only way to be sure

just sayin'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like