back to article WannaCry prompts promise of extra cash towards NHS security

The NHS is to get a funding boost for cybersecurity measures, while the UK government has promised patients a digital service that lets them see who's accessed their health records. The commitments are part of its response to two reviews into patient data – one from the National Data Guardian for health and care, Fiona …

1. charlieboywoof
    Megaphone

"Local organisations should be aiming to have isolated, moved away from or be actively managing any unsupported systems by April 2018," the response said

or don't click on the link

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Local organisations should be aiming to have isolated, moved away from or be actively managing any unsupported systems by April 2018,"

That phraseology struck me as being the wrong way to say the right thing. We all know stuff can't always be done instantly but "by April 2018" gives too much wriggle room for managers to assign lower priorities in favour of - well whatever takes their fancy. "As soon as possible and certainly no later than April 2018" would have been far better. "As a top priority" would have been better still.

1. Loud Speaker

OTOH, "should be able to demonstrate that they know what a plan is by April 2018" is more realistic.

2. Scott Broukell

" ... patients a digital service that lets them see who's accessed their health records"

A digital service that allows world+dog to see world+dogs medical records.

There, FTFY

3. monty75

I look forward to receiving a pizza menu with this summarised on it.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Wow. A patient accessible audit trail. Such generosity.

Note however you can't stop others reading it.

5. TVU Silver badge

"WannaCry prompts promise of extra cash towards NHS security"

...preferably for NHSbuntu.

6. edge_e
    Facepalm

with all patients who have already registered a type one opt-out (which objects to identifiable data being shared outside of their GP) honoured until 2020.

What happens after that?

I very much doubt I'm going to like the answer.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Total Horseshit

"The BBC understands that in the new deal there will be no opt-out for patients who do not wish to share their data."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40352885

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK residents only

Born and bred in Yorkshire. 2 heart operations. Left the UK 6 years ago. Tried to opt out of that care thing...sorry only citizens with a UK address can opt out.

So, a big fuck you, we got your data and we don't care. Government IT through and through.

9. Fizzle
    Black Helicopters

Simplified...?

"The response (PDF) accepts the recommendations of both reviews, which included a simplified model for consent, the adoption of 10 data security standards and significant improvements to the way data use is communicated to the public."

I don't want simplified, I want complicated!

As an example, I went to the dentist recently and they asked me to sign a consent form. There were about 4 different phrases with reference to how my data is used. I had to consent before I was "allowed" treatment. I objected to two of the phrases regarding outside use and access, only to be told I can't do that (I had modified the form and initialled it to withdraw consent for those items).

If I didn't agree to my data being given to other organisations I wouldn't be treated.

Well the "Gubmint" can go kiss its arse for fuxache!

10. david willis

£21M

Sounds like a lot of money? To be split between 27 organisations (the major trauma centres)

As for the other 206 secondary care NHS organisations, Acutes with A&E's, Mental Health Trusts, AMBULANCE TRUSTS... they will have to bid for part of the £50M allocated to the ENTIRE NHS to be released over the next 2.5 years, when in reality they will all have to meet strict standards by April 2018.

Rock and a hard place? -

1. FlossyThePig
      Pint

Re: £21M

Perhaps it would be better if the NHS was one integrated service rather than multiple feifdoms doing their own thing.

It may also reduce "sound bite" government, but I doubt it.

P.S I had an appontment at Ipswich hospital audiology department first thing on 15/05/2017. The hospital was unaffected by WannaCry as they were fully patched and up to date.

Beer icon for Ipswich hospital IT department

11. phuzz Silver badge
    Boffin

It's a shame they've ballsed up this patient data thing so badly, because from a medical research point of view that data would be incredibly useful and could absolutely save lives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like