back to article Verizon!-owned! Yahoo! bins! AT&T! IDs! for! Tumblr! logins!

Verizon has moved to unwind an old deal between Yahoo! and AT&T that allowed users to run merged AT&T and Yahoo! email accounts for login to some Yahoo! services. Tumblr was acquired by Yahoo! in 2013 and became a familiar Purple Palace bungle: after splashing US$1.1 billion to buy the blogging platform, it January this year …

1. caffeine addict Silver badge

How is this a thing? Are the identities tied together in some hideous way or is this like Skype emailing everyone who used a gmail email address and telling them they need to provide a different email address?

This feels like it should be against some kind of competitions law - but since it's in the US, who knows...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IIRC Flickr removed Google accounts logins long ago...

.. .and required to create a Yahoo! account.

While there could be some technical reasons to get rid of external authentications you may not control, it could also be a way to boos the number of accounts - despite the fact they won't be probably ever used besides access a given service. I guess most users of Flickr aren't interested in other Yahoo! services at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IIRC Flickr removed Google accounts logins long ago...

"I guess most users of Flickr aren't interested in other Yahoo! services at all."

Since Flickr was revamped a few years ago to be bandwidth hungry and user unfriendly - the only service I still use is Yahoo! Groups. Even that was revamped to lose many of its useful features.

3. jtaylor

Right, so, Verizon doesn't want people to use their AT&T logins for Verizon products.

1. fidodogbreath Silver badge

My understanding is that it's the other way around; i.e., this change originated with AT&T, not Verizon.

AT&T used to outsource its customer email to Yahoo, meaning that you could log into Yahoo mail (and other purple properties) using an AT&T email address in place of a Yahoo ID.

AT&T began disentangling itself from Yahoo some time ago; however, the process gained new urgency when Yahoo got bought by AT&T's largest competitor, Verizon. Part of that is disconnecting their account system from Yahoo, since AT&T likely sees that as giving Verizon a potential back door into their customer list.

4. rmstock

Yahoo! Europe only ?

$ nslookup www.yahoo.com

[ ... ]

Non-authoritative answer:

www.yahoo.com canonical name = atsv2-fp.wg1.b.yahoo.com.

Name: atsv2-fp.wg1.b.yahoo.com

Address: 188.125.80.145

Name: atsv2-fp.wg1.b.yahoo.com

Address: 188.125.80.144

$ whois 188.125.80.145

% This is the RIPE Database query service.

% The objects are in RPSL format.

%

% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.

% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.

% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '188.125.80.0 - 188.125.87.255'

% Abuse contact for '188.125.80.0 - 188.125.87.255' is 'abuse@yahoo-inc.com'

inetnum: 188.125.80.0 - 188.125.87.255

netname: IR2-YAHOO

descr: Yahoo! Europe

admin-c: YEU-RIPE

tech-c: YEU-RIPE

mnt-by: YAHOO-MNT

created: 2010-11-26T08:30:34Z

last-modified: 2015-06-25T15:54:34Z

source: RIPE

role: Yahoo Europe Operations Department

address: Yahoo Europe Operations

address: 125 Shaftesbury Avenue

address: London

address: WC2H 8AD

remarks: trouble: uk-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com

admin-c: NA1231-RIPE

tech-c: NA1231-RIPE

tech-c: IG1154-RIPE

nic-hdl: YEU-RIPE

mnt-by: YAHOO-MNT

created: 2005-02-21T10:54:13Z

last-modified: 2014-03-25T20:11:11Z

source: RIPE # Filtered

abuse-mailbox: uk-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.89.2 (BLAARKOP)

however the domain yahoo.com is still located at :

Registry Registrant ID:

Registrant Name: Domain Administrator

Registrant Organization: Yahoo! Inc.

Registrant Street: 701 First Avenue

Registrant City: Sunnyvale

Registrant State/Province: CA

Registrant Postal Code: 94089

Registrant Country: US

The email service of yahoo.com through the website (https) Yahoo! Europe located at 125 Shaftesbury Avenue, London seems to work still fine. However the email service through IMAP over SSL (imaps 993/tcp) has more downtime as uptime, which has become a nasty burden.

My question would be, does Yahoo! Inc. at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA still have a website service and or IMAP service running? And where did the Yahoo! Inc ip-addresses disappear to ? Are there only UK ip-numbers now ?

5. rmstock

Fishing attempt ?

Nearly two weeks ago on june 18 i had severe troubles getting access to my yahoo email through thunderbird/imap/ssl/ . So i started looking for a support phone number. If I recall correctly it was through a search inside the Yahoo! forums that i eyed this phone number :

Yahoo Customer care!

Yahoo! Inc

Sunnyvale, California, U.S

@1-855-777-1707 Toll Free Helpline.

A young man from India seemed to answer this number. I told him i couldn't login at my Yahoo! email. He asked my account details and told through the phone he had set a new password. I tried his password but was not able to login, both on the website or imap. After complaining to him about this he asked if I could give him my old password. Stunned by this request i tried my old password again and was able to login on the website. I told him that it worked again. "So what was your old password Sir ?" "Ehh well you see, it works now, so there's no need to voice my access details through the phone, i guess .. " <click>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020