back to article TalkTalk customers complain of being unable to load Amazon website

Certain UK TalkTalk customers have been unable to load Amazon's website since last week. The issue emerged on TalkTalk's community page on Monday. The original poster wrote: "Hi for two days now i have had an issue with amazon not loading on three browsers IE, Chrome and Edge." Other users commented to say they have …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Rule #1

Don't use your ISPs DNS.

1. SkippyBing

Rule #2

Don't use Talk Talk.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Rule #2

Rule #2

That is rule #0 - it goes before any other rules.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Rule #2

"That is rule #0 - it goes before any other rules."

Are you Richard Stallman in disguise?

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Rule #1

Sounds like a dead edge cache.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Don't use your ISPs DNS.

Not necessairily true - some ISPs don't use throttling or blocking and *their* DNS is safe to use (I'm on Zen and I'm quite happy to use their DNS.. my firewall does have Google DNS as a secondary though).

So to restate your premise:

"Don't use your crappy, race-to-the-bottom, scamming, 'network optimising' ISPs DNS".

1. BebopWeBop

Yes, another very happy Zen user here. Not the cheapest, but service is second to none (although I have not tried talk talk :-)

2. Dave Bell

For how long can I trust Google?

I have a little notebook with a list of DNS servers, including my ISP, Google, and OpenDNS. If something did go pear-shaped I don't need to look them up on the internet,

Worst-case, I have my android phone.

Doesn't solve the who-to-trust problem, and the whole connection could still fail, but it's some extra resilience.

I actually was with Talk-Talk for a while, after a take-over. Since I have my own domain-name and use non-ISP email, all they had to do was move packets, and they were OK at that.

Some of this is a habit I started in my dial-up days, when the company was bought by another (and both have since vanished).

Only downside? My weird interests can be tracked a long way back, but some of them are even in print.

2. Lord Schwindratzheim
    Joke

Marketing Opportunity?

Shirley this is something Talk Talk can use as a USP in their advertising?

1. Danny 14

Re: Marketing Opportunity?

So amazon, thats a lot of advertising revenue you have. Shame if our users suddenly couldnt go to your site.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Marketing Opportunity?

So amazon, thats a lot of advertising revenue you have.

They have adverts on the interwebnet thingy?

3. djstardust

Oh wow ....

At last a reason to sign up with Talk Talk. Keeping my wife off Amazon would be fantastic.

4. Alistair
    Joke

hmmm

GCHQ proxy watching for trrists buying weaponizable materials fall down go boom?

5. Cynic_999

Yes, probably GCHQ. I found some ICBM's at a really good price on Amazon, but was put off by the delivery time from China. They probably contain dodgy LiPo's as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, probably GCHQ. I found some ICBM's at a really good price on Amazon, but was put off by the delivery time from China.

If they are the real deal, the delivery time should not exceed 40 minutes. That's how you check.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

the delivery time should not exceed 40 minutes.

The snag is that the recipient has to be home when they're delivered. Don't expect too much of the gift wrapping service for such items either.

1. hplasm
          Happy

Re: the delivery time should not exceed 40 minutes.

'Sorry you weren't home when we tried to deliver. Your package is in the radioactive crater behind the bin.'

2. Dave Bell

Re: the delivery time should not exceed 40 minutes.

I understand the delivery is rather flash. It doesn't want to miss you.

2. Martin-73 Silver badge
      Mushroom

But the dodgy Li-Pos are being used as the warhead.

Waste not want not...

6. noboard

normally

I would mock people on talk talk, but I logged into my Zen account page for the first time in years and it says I'm on talk talk business. I've always had great service from Zen, but this worries me.

1. Chris King

Re: normally

AAISP use TalkTalk wholesale for some services, like their 1Tb/month Home::1 product.

I've been on this for just over a year - performance and stability has been consistently good apart from the occasional blip, but TT have been working with the ISP's to fix problems.

It's a VERY different experience to the misery that is TalkTalk retail.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: normally - misery that is TalkTalk retail

You mean TT retail has improved?

2. Brenda McViking

AA ISP

The only UK ISP to be xkcd/806 compliant

1. John Sager

Yup, AAISP are a top ISP and unlike XKCD it's not a dream. They helped me with 2 problems that were/would have been call-centre hell with BT.

1. Chris King

Aye. They're eye-wateringly expensive, but well worth it if/when things go wrong.

A couple of years back, BT dumped my line into a "hot" VLAN and performance went down the toilet at peak times. Most normal ISP's would have given up and told me to accept the fact that I now had a crap line, but AAISP went out of their way to make BT sort out the problem. This one went up to BT's High Level Escalation (HLE) team, and was eventually fixed:

http://www.revk.uk/2015/03/some-times-bt-just-dont-understand.html

As I've said elsewhere, AAISP have a secret weapon for dealing with BT - answers to the name "Shaun", likes BT managers but will eat normal food if required !

2. Is It Me

I haven't had to use it for a while as I haven't had any issues in at least the last 3 years, but Plus.Net used to exceed the xkcd standard as you didn't need to use a pass phrase to talk to someone that knew what they were doing.

I hope this is still the case, but I also hope I don't have to find out anytime soon.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>It's a VERY different experience to the misery that is TalkTalk retail

We've used TT Business before. From my perspective, there wasn't a great deal of difference (apart from the fact that thier support desk actually admitted to their own existence)

2. BebopWeBop

I would mock people on talk talk, but I logged into my Zen account page for the first time in years and it says I'm on talk talk business. I've always had great service from Zen, but this worries me.

Where did you see this - my Zen account says nothing of the sort - but may be I am not looking in the right place?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like