back to article Guess who's just locked up £1.5bn Australian prison mega-contract? Our very own Serco

Business Process Outsourcing behemoth Serco is part of the NewPathways consortium that will sketch out, erect and run the largest prison in Australia under a mega-contract dished out today. The collection of companies also includes Aussie building firm John Holland, project management biz John Laing and investment banker …

1. Smooth Newt
    Meh

Serco had agreed to repay all past profit ...

So you do get the grass back just by shovelling the shit back into the cow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pathway to profit is "not doing it"

I worked for them, some nice people there but management tended to be, or become nasty pieces of work.

The culture was "we've been paid, so to make more profit just don't do what you can get away with". The drive for greater profits came from the likes of Stafford et. al who would claim not to know how the profits were made when the underlings were caught.

3. Alister Silver badge
    Facepalm

International Justice Business

Soames said the contract marked an “expansion of our international Justice business

Oh dear Gods, I bet he really believes that as well. "I AM THE LAW"

4. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

1.5bill over 20 years for 1700 prisoners?

Thats £44,117.64 per prisoner per year.

I reckon I could beat that price....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could you really?

Of course if prison was just a box where you throw people in to let them die then you could cut on costs....

But if you have to host a lot of dangerous people in relatively safe and humane conditions costs build up quickly....building according to security regulations, maintaining the infrastructure, paying for guards and the whole administrative back office, security systems, managing catering & laundry, paying for services (water, electricity, heating), etc....

At the end of the day the Serco proposal is LOWER (~£120/day) that the average daily cost of prisoners in most western countries (~£130/day)

2. Korev Silver badge

Thats £44,117.64 per prisoner per year.

For £20k/year I'll happily stay out of prison and save them the best part of £25k.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err, thats just Serco's share of the total price.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re. For £20k/year I'll happily stay out of prison

if you can scale it up and prove it, I'm sure serco would want a word with you.. somewhere quiet ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like old times with the Brits dealing with Aussie prisoners.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes it costs a ridiculous amount of money to house people in prison, and it would make more sense that anyone who is not dangerous be dealt with in the community either with some sort of house arrest or GPS tagging. It would be cheaper to employ someone on minimum wage to follow them around all day than keep low risk prisoner locked up.

From working in prisons for a number of years I know how much money they can throw away on ferrying prisoners between prisons in the secure vans. I know that many prisoners are transfered from one prison to their 'local' prison with just days left before they were due to be released. Yet they could have been left where they were and given a £50 travel warrant to make their own way home, Moving a prisoner between prison in the secure vans costs about £700 per prisoner, it seems ridiculous to spend this much when in a few days time they will be released.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

New company motto...

"Making crime pay."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As any aussie knows, If something dose not work in another country then of course it will work in Oz

1. Youngone

Not only did it not work in the UK, you could have checked with us across the ditch.

Serco had a contract to run the new Mt. Eden prison in Auckland, but made such a hash of it the contract was taken off them.

Guards were running "Fight Clubs" and betting on the outcomes among other nasties.

Total shambles.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"Guards were running "Fight Clubs" and betting on the outcomes "

Wow.

That really is making crime pay.

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Australia Mega Prison

Well it worked before

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Australia Mega Prison

"Australia II" ?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Australia Mega Prison

"Australia II" ?

Come see the hardened crims run the gauntlet! Will the drop bears get them first? Or will it be the spiders[1]?

[1] Not from Mars obviously. That ship has sailed (or not, given the hash NASA has made of the whole porkbarrel^W[2] project..

[2] Anyone managed to get the span/strike thing to work? It doesn't for me (followed instructions and all). Maybe El Reg just Hates Me[3].

[3] As well as everybody else. Ho hum. Somedays, it just ain't worth coming down from the trees, let alone getting out of bed..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020