back to article Atlassian wants you to put all your eggs in one Bitbucket and beyond

Atlassian's decided the time is right for it to do a “stack” for enterprises keen to get their DevOps efforts in order. The DevOps darling has put everything it offers into the stack – server and client side Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, HipChat, Bamboo, FishEye, Crucible and Crowd, plus support for the lot – and wrapped it up …

1. Lusty

The per user price is reasonable, but the 1000 minimum is crazy. VSTS has all of that functionality with a better user interface and governance and can be bought by the user for a similar price (first 5 are free). I know non-MS tools are trendy with developers but the 1000 user minimum (in the dev department?!) makes this pretty uncompetetive for most companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Atlassian are competing with a range of productivity tools, not just software engineering-focused build chains. Many organisations will have Confluence used by everyone and Jira used by almost everyone (we use it for everything, including HR and facilities management). At that scale you can basically get the build tools for free.

2. oomwat

This is just a licensing bundle for those companies that actually want the full stack - it's highly unlikely that a smaller company will want Crowd since they can just point their apps at JIRA for centralised auth - this works well at lower user numbers, you only really need Crowd when you're fronting large LDAP trees, which will only happen in large organisations.

TL:DR - smaller organisations can just buy the licenses they need separately.

3. Planty Bronze badge
      FAIL

better user interface and governance

LOL, are you for real? TFS looked like it's coded to work with IE9

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How useful is VSTS/TFS if you are a heterogeneous shop though? Only a small portion of our devs use Windows.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atlassian's still happy for organisations to shop à la carte

So this is essentially non news then???

Our Atlassian products are roughly 10x cheaper that our previous offering, and massively better too. Productivity sky rocketed and costs dropped significantly. It's rare you get win/win but we did going Atlassian.

1. Fibbles

Re: Atlassian's still happy for organisations to shop à la carte

You are Bryan Rollins and I claim my 5 pounds.

3. Stuart Moore

Atlassian a mixed bag

Jira is pretty good, and bitbucket is fine. Bamboo I've found frustrating as you can't prioritise certain builds, or trigger builds by a pull request being created. Fisheye/crucible is pretty terrible, it's very hard to get it to do anything and the UI is really confusing.

But there are very basic, popular feature requests being ignored, e.g. http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9167

1. Stretch

Re: Atlassian a mixed bag

There's plugins for builds on PR https://github.com/RichRelevance/StashPRTriggerPlugin

2. Tom 38

Every morning I go to check the status of my reviews in Fisheye, and forget that before reloading the page I need to view, I have to open the Fisheye homepage so that it logs me in.

Unsurprisingly, they have an SSO system for logging in to their different sites, but for some reason Fisheye doesn't track what resource you were trying to access and just dumps you on the frontpage.

I have to fix bugs like that on my system, but apparently they don't...

JIRA is good, but some of the other stuff is very meh. I guess it is a rush to ensure that they can tick all the checkboxes as a suite, and that the shittier offerings will improve over time.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"or trigger builds by a pull request being created. "

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bamboo-6-0-release-notes-894743804.html

"Starting from version 6.0, Bamboo can create plan branches whenever a pull request is created. Create plan branch when ready to share your work with teammates and the CI system. Bamboo will detect new pull requests and create a plan branch."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"And if the keen prices mentioned above also lead an organisation to say they might as well use Hipchat, instead of a rival like Slack"

We've just done exactly this. Slack worked out at the same price as the entire Atlassian stack. Plus you can't run it on prem, which is just absurd for enterprise software.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Rollins thinks price will be less of a factor in that kind of decision than the fact the stack can run in the cloud or on-premises.

Being able to run on-premises is a killer argument for many companies. And most of Atlassian stuff is at least good enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like