back to article Boffins play with the world's most powerful X‑ray gun to shoot molecules

A group of scientists has focused the world’s most powerful X‑ray beam on a molecule to test out the Linac Coherent Light Source at the US Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. The pulse was so intense that within 30 femtoseconds – a millionth of a billionth of a second – more than 50 electrons were …

1. Captain DaFt

It's the 21st Century, and we've finally gotten our disintegrator ray!

Shame it only works on wee tiny targets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let's start a war on prions so we can make use of it!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Researching proteins that have gone awry is indeed an aim of this laser technique. Only last Saturday a protein researcher was on ABC's radio Science Show, talking about how his laser wasn't powerful enough but he knew a lab who would let him have a go with theirs: (link to page with MP3)

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/understanding-protein-structure-may-allow-treatment-for-amyloid/8561868

2. cray74
        Joke

Let's start a war on prions so we can make use of it!

I've heard prions have lots of oil that needs liberating.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The real story here...

...is the tech that created those x-ray mirrors and did the fine focusing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real story here...

...is the tech that created those x-ray mirrors and did the fine focusing.

The technology behind the X-ray optics is indeed very impressive - even if was mostly developed for use with synchrotrons, which operate at similar wavelengths. The much more amazing part of the linac X-ray source technology is the degree of control over electron bunches in the beam they achieve, and the fact that they manage to synchronize the laserr light pjlse and relativistic electron bunch to within 100 fem5oseconds or so over a distance of a few kilometers.

It is amazing what you can achieve with a lot of smart people and a few billions to spend.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Astonishing.

It seems the Iodine atom absorbs the Xrays (about 0.15nm) which cause electrons to be ejected from deep inside the atom. However not only does this trigger electrons to drop into these vacant orbitals (which should emit other xrays) it also pulls electrons in from the rest of the molecule.

That said I'm not sure how common Iodine containing molecules are in biochemistry, although there's meant to be a lot of it in seaweed.

Incidentally those laser fusion systems only generate Xrays around 150 eV and spend an awful lot of laser energy to do so. :-( .

1. Chemist

Re: Astonishing.

"That said I'm not sure how common Iodine containing molecules are in biochemistry, although there's meant to be a lot of it in seaweed."

Not often found in drugs but 'heavy' atoms are often substituted into materials for x-ray crystallography to help in the process fr solving the structure. This is often Sulfur being replaced by Selenium in protein crystallography. As mentioned in the article damage by the x-ray beam to the crystals used is a major problem in obtaining high-quality structural info.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Astonishing.

However not only does this trigger electrons to drop into these vacant orbitals (which should emit other xrays) it also pulls electrons in from the rest of the molecule ...

The fact that core-excited atoms preferentially decay by ejecting one or more electrons, rather than by X-ray fluorescence has been known since 1922. The fact that these excited states can also "borrow" the electrons from neighbouring atoms has been recognized for at least past 20 years.

What is new with with the linac X-ray sources is the ability to pump in the X-ray photons fast enough to outrun the Auger-type decay.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Now if only...

We could make it shark-mountable...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now if only...

Sorry only ill tempered Sea Bass available. Sharks are frikkin endangered these days.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Now if only...

They wont be endangered anymore after they get their friggin lasers!

5. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I have become the destroyer of worlds

The problem with these scientists is many of them are so heavily focused on solving problems that they give zero thought of the genie they could potentially be letting out of the bottle. Some might even say, autistic

So when the next weapon of mass destruction is created, we will have these unthinking scientists to congratulate.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a luddite and I do support the scientific method and that of discovery. But man some of these scientists need to think about consequenses, rather than some gong award

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: I have become the destroyer of worlds

Killer scientist: Look I have a new weapon of mass destruction!

Arms dealer: Cool, whats the range and area of the death zone?

Killer scientist: A few cm and 8x10⁻¹⁵m².

Arms dealer: What?

Killer scientist: You get someone in there and they are going to die!

Arms dealer: Of course, they wouldn't fit.

Killer scientist: That's just the detector to find out what happened when we shoot something. You don't need that.

Arms dealer: That's a relief. It looked a bit expensive and impossible to transport. Where is the actual weapon?

Killer scientist points.

Arms dealer: That tunnel goes on forever!

Killer scientist: The tunnel is 3.2km long, but we only use the last km.

Arms dealer walks away.

Killer scientist: That's just the first prototype. The next version will only be half a km long.

Arms dealer (calls back over his shoulder): Still wouldn't fit on an aircraft carrier.

Killer scientist: Aircraft carrier - good choice. You would need the nuclear reactor as a power source... Why are you leaving?

2. Rich 11

I am not a luddite

You just demand impossible standards which by sheer coincidence would hold back all technological progress.

Really, you should take a closer look at what you said.

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Look! I have harnessed the power of lightning and I shall call it Electricity!

Oooo I don't know, could be used to kill people.

Good point...I shall destroy all my research!

6. DNTP

I used to be a MALDI-TOFfer

My old job was shooting DNA fragments with a pretty serious UV laser so they'd ionize and fly down a meter-long aluminium tube and pass a timed detector. You never quite lose that thrill of sitting down at the control console and pulling the trigger on that thing, feeling the power of energy being released and seeing the spectrum generate every time it pulsed.

Actually the only sound it made was a faint clicking and the only visible effect was flashing light on the microscope camera screen. But to be honest the next-gen sequencing technology that replaced my spectrophotometer setup is much less fun to run.

1. Scott Broukell

Re: I used to be a MALDI-TOFfer

Interesting, but isn't that the way that burger meat get produced these days ?

2. Aladdin Sane

Re: I used to be a MALDI-TOFfer

Did you laugh like a maniac each time?

7. Sgt_Oddball
    Boffin

You did it yourself?

What's a mad boffin got to do to get a good Igor these days to press the switch/pull the level/{interact} the {thing} ?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

He pulled the trigger, which implies he was the Igor.

8. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Mushroom

xenon atoms, iodomethane (CH3I) and iodobenzene (C6H5I) - Boring!

What happens if you fire it at Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: xenon atoms, iodomethane (CH3I) and iodobenzene (C6H5I) - Boring!

A smoking crater and a lot of explaining to do?

2. Adam 1

Re: xenon atoms, iodomethane (CH3I) and iodobenzene (C6H5I) - Boring!

It forms Chuck Norris.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon