back to article Dyson celebrates 'shock' EU Court win over flawed energy tests

Europe's top court has ruled that the General Court issued a flawed and unfair verdict against Dyson, Britain's best-known manufacturer. Dyson sued the European Commission over energy labelling regulations, which it argued favoured continental rivals, principally Bosch and Siemens. The labels were derived from tests in dust- …

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Suitable tests

That there are not suitable equitable tests seems unlikely

BSI catalogue lists a few, you'd have thought one or more would be appropriate or adaptable to the job

http://shop.bsigroup.com/SearchResults?q=vacuum&id=161026&filter=cleaner~

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the same Dyson who has no time for the EU ?

just curious.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Is this the same Dyson who has no time for the EU ?

Yes. As far as I can tell, this case is the reason.

Yes, he does appear to be that petty.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        FAIL

What?

A totally flawed 'test' seriously misrepresents his product, and you call that 'petty'.

He would be remiss if he didn't take every means available to protect the company's reputation

1. El_Fev

Ignore them, their the usual Euro lickspittals, the kind of person who could have the EU do a dump on their face, and still reckon it was Evian water!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lets say you create a product and it gets classified due to tests to be not as good as your rivals.

You find out your rival is cheating the tests.

What do you do?

A. Accept it because to do otherwise would be petty and you're not really bothered about sales and making money even though you started a business to do just that.

B. Take it to court to get justice.

Additional information: You voted leave which has absolutely f*ck all to do with the above.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

B. Take it to court to get justice.

Additional information: You voted leave which has absolutely f*ck all to do with the above.

Only with Brexit, Dyson will no longer have access to the EU court...

1. Putters

Wrong - he could still sue in the European Court of Justice, whether we're still in Europe or not - it decides whether European Law is being broken in Europe, irrespective of who is saying it's been broken.

Eg China Air Travel Association in this case : http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-china-eu-emissions-idUSLNE7BP00A20111226

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Of course he will. Courts are there to rule on issues that are in their jurisdiction, the location of the plaintiff is not relevant.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

@AC + Putters - "Only with Brexit, Dyson will no longer have access to the EU court...

Of course he will. Courts are there to rule on issues that are in their jurisdiction, the location of the plaintiff is not relevant."

Yes you are totally correct with respect to what I wrote, however in being glib I omitted the real point, namely:

Dyson's claim only had merit because the UK is inside the Single Market and thus subject to it's rules, thus the basis of Dyson's claim was that the Single Market rules didn't create a level playing field. Once the UK is outside of the Single Market, it no longer plays by the rules for members of the Single Market, it plays by the rules as defined by the EU/Single Market-UK trade agreement. Thus effectively after Brexit, the case Dyson (UK) put before the European courts would be without merit. And as another AC noted for his case to have merit, Dyson (EU) would need to bring the case.

3. Old Tom

So how come Levi Strauss had access to the ECJ when the ECJ agreed to maintain their specially-inflated-for-the-EU prices?

4. Infernoz Bronze badge
            Facepalm

This kind of business corruption of standards/regulation is centuries old and continues in modern, stagnant, crony corporations deliberately influencing/proposing regulations to unfairly reduce competition, and is well known for the EU, so another reason to exit it, to regain control.

Outside the EU, the WTO may be able to help the UK to block these effective tariffs before defensive measures like import tariffs/blocks are required to force negotiation! The EU can't win because Britain has a negative trade balance with the more wasteful Eurozone countries (including Germany), so any import tariffs/blocks, by the UK will hurt the Eurozone countries far worse then the UK.

As we have seen with the sanctions on Russia, reduction of foreign imports can force a developed country to become more efficient and productive, so less EU imports could be a blessing in disguise for the UK!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
              FAIL

As we have seen with the sanctions on Russia, reduction of foreign imports can force a developed country to become more efficient

The only things in Russia that ever get more efficient are corruption and repression.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"You find out your rival is cheating the tests. What do you do?"

Well, in Dyson's case, campaign to leave the EU.

Nobody begrudges him his right to feel aggrieved or challenge a flawed process in the courts. But his desire to pull out the EU was as petty as wanting to take his ball home.

3. Bronek Kozicki

I would agree that he does appear to be petty. Which does not mean that he is. Also, it does appear that the EU shot itself in the foot with the initial verdict.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whilst I agree with Dyson that the efficiency tests are very flawed, and I currently own a DC05 Dyson which is well engineered and has lasted very well, my next cleaner will be made by a different firm, because *I* can be petty about the EU too.

And by being *in* the EU, he was able to bring this court case through his UK based company. To do so with the UK *out* of the EU, he would have had to have filed the court case through a European subsiduary company. Doh!

2. El_Fev

Yes the same Dyson that just shows how corrupt the EU is, did you actually reading the f*cking article or is your remoaner BS so immense that reality passes you by?

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Lots of rants, and you have been unfairly modded down.

The real story is:

1. It is the same Dyson who slept through while the tests were defined. There was an industry consultation, he could not be arsed to participate.

2. It is the same Dyson which woke up to find that some other people did not sleep through and were getting better shop floor standing than his appliances. I am with Bosch and Siemens here - if you can rig the system legally, go ahead and rig it. There are mechanisms to put it right in the end, but unless someone does that occasionally the mechanisms rot and fester which is not good for the endgame.

3. It is the same Dyson who went on a hell-bent moan on the subject instead of doing the job properly for his court case and as a result failed his first court appearance.

4. It is the same Dyson who sponsored us removing ourselves out of the jurisdiction of the court which finally put the things right instead of using the court case.

5. It is the same Dyson which will have NO F*CKING SAY in changing the regulations because his company has decided to leave the Eu together with the country ans REMOVE ourselves out of the jurisdiction of the court in question. Courtesy of him filling Leave coffers with money in rage of pet hate.

Bazooka, foot, look into the exhaust, pull trigger. Now do it again. Again. Again. And again. What a complete and utter idiot. Though with Govenokio, the hair disorganized dolt and the crook he sort of fits where he should be.

1. Ragarath

Re: Is this the same Dyson who has no time for the EU ? @ Voland

WTF was all that about? I'm sure there is something in there that was meant to make sense but all I read was I love Europe it can do no wrong and I don't like that Dyson bloke.

Re: Is this the same Dyson who has no time for the EU ? @ Voland

WTF was all that about? I'm sure there is something in there that was meant to make sense but all I read was I love Europe it can do no wrong and I don't like that Dyson bloke.

Let's just take the EU out of the equation because this is how all non-tariff barriers work through standards setting. Regulatory body (here the EU Commission) gets the job of setting power standards for vacuum cleaners (I've heard German politicians moan about meddling here) as part of the general plan to reduce power consumption in households. The call goes out to interested parties including the manufacturers, but also consumer groups, to help define standards and associated tests. Ideal, clean room situations are standard for this sort of thing, partly because they're much simpler and cheaper to do. And they're always gamed: Philip Morris famously invented cigarette filters which drew in more air in testing equipment than when used by people. Assuming everyone is agreement, and those that don't take part in the process are considered as to be in agreement, then the standard goes into force. The UK seems to delight in grandstanding about the process and then moaning about the result. Guess what, this works just as badly around the world.

It should also be noted that reproducible "real world" tests are notoriously difficult to define and run. And it's not as if they aren't subject to gaming either. If you're not squeamish you might want to look up how negative medical trials are silently ignored on a routine basis.

The important thing is that the standard and its tests are open to challenge, as is here the case. Yes, it's taken years, but the court has reached its decision and Dyson has been vindicated. Let's hope that the next time they get on board earlier in the process.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shop floor standing... I would not attribute that mainly to the eco rating. Dysons are like the loaded BMWs in that market. Sophisticated, but pricey. For any big-box store they probably make a small fraction of all vac cleaner sales. It should be expected that a niche product occupies a niche in the store, while the cheap brands and the entry level models from established brands get the main stage.

If the Brexit hits home hard and the UK loses tax-free access to the single market hard it is quite likely going to cost him a pretty amount of sales. Or money if he maintains end-customer price by lowering his margin and absorbing a possible import tax.

Maybe he is the kind of guy that rather would drink from the pub toilet if his beer is too warm. But more likely this wasn't thought through to the end.

(Dyson owner, love that thing.)

1. Bronek Kozicki

UK loses tax-free access to the single market hard it is quite likely going to cost him a pretty amount of sales.

Unlikely. The FX rate fluctuation have much bigger impact on import/export than tariffs do ; for example GBP fell more than 7% since June vote (relative to EUR; at one moment it was almost 15%), but the average WTO tariffs (i.e. the cost of export to EU in case there is no trade deal) are just 2.5% . That's how much FX rate of a major currency might move in a month, in the period of low volatility. Why do you think the Germans have not kicked out Greece from EUR yet? Because it would destabilise the single currency, which is the biggest aid to German exports both on the continent (removing FX rates entirely) and elsewhere (keeping EUR artificially low)

Why do you think the Germans have not kicked out Greece from EUR yet? Because it would destabilise the single currency

Not sure about that. Greece's economy is too small to move the needle and the threat of contagion has largely receded, especially after the French election. Politics, and the prospect of having a failed state next to a newly belligerent Turkey play a bigger role into the deliberations.

But the point about currency stability is valid which is why the Bundesbank always targeted "monetary stability" and Germany's major trading partners historically aligned their currencies with the Mark. And it's also why China manages the Renminbi's dollar rate so closely. Currency fluctuations mean that trades have to be hedged (on both sides) which adds to the cost.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Not sure about that. Greece's economy is too small to move the needle

In economic terms yes, but the publicity, uncertainity and reputational damage that would happen were a Eurozone member to be kicked out would dwarf the Brexit hullabaloo. All the shaky small EU countries would be running around in a panic, and the Euro itself would tank.

All the shaky small EU countries would be running around in a panic, and the Euro itself would tank.

Nope, the smaller Eurozone economies are now effectively backstopped by the Germans thanks to an almighty bailout fund. As for the exchange rate, much like the dollar, the external value of the Euro doesn't matter that much any more as so much trade is done with it: this was one of the major aims of the currency union.

But these kind of hypothetical questions don't really mean much. Suffice it to say that Greece's exit has, for various reasons, been avoided and the debts to the other member states are being slowly inflated away.

2. RCM

Dyson manufactures in the Far East so European customers will not be affected because they are importing from outside of the EU anyway. The same for UK customers although after Brexit they will have to rely on whatever trade deal the UK gets with the governments concerned.

It would have been nice if Dyson did at least a bit of token manufacturing in the UK

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Maybe he is the kind of guy that rather would drink from the pub toilet if his beer is too warm.

Have an extra upvote for the metaphor!

BTW. Free trade is "barrier-free" not "tax-free".

3. Nifty Silver badge

"Small fraction of all vac cleaner sales"?

I'd heard that Dyson was Germany's favourite vac brand. Can't be far behind in the UK then. But citation needed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Petty?

The EU were effectively saying that a "defeat device" (to quote Dyson) was permitted to be used, making an energy-efficient machine appear to be less efficient than a less efficient machine (on those energy efficient labels that are mandated).

This had the potential to lose Dyson large amounts of revenue.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Petty?

A hoover that used less power when it had less work to do is good idea.

Fits in with 'smart' dishwashers, washing machines etc.

Doesn't make it a defeat device as such.

Issue more that whereas vehicle testing has three or more cycles under test, this hoover test had only one - gentle drive round the block.

1. Mike 125

OK suckers, here's watt I think:

For a hoover, efficiency is suckage per watt, per volume of dirt sucked.

The test should suck a calibrated volume of dirt, and measure energy used and time taken.

"A sensor puts the Siemens Q8.0 and Bosch GL80 models into low power mode in pristine conditions – such as a lab test – then ramps it up again for everyday use."

So it's clearly a defeat device, as per VW. What other function can it have?

I like Dysons - they're big and shiny.

1. ilmari

It gets more complicated than that. I used to think suck per watt would be the thing to measure (and do you want to measure volume per time, or static pressure?)

With less suck, but with a rotating brush, you get surprisingly good results, and better results at removing dog hair than a traditional powerful suck.

On the other hand, that gives terrible results on getting sand out of a carpet. Except if it's a very smooth and non-porous mat.

So you'd probably want to include a range of different dirts on different surfaces, spread onto and into the surfaces using various methods, weigh before and after result, and consider energy and time used, and the amount of particles exhausted or thrown up into the air.

Maybe suck per watt would be easier.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Maybe suck per watt would be easier.

Maybe not creating meaningless tests that can't be accurate, in an attempt to give consumers a false sense of being informed, would be easiest of all, for both cars and hoovers. Unfortunately that would put Eurocrats out of work.

2. ecarlseen

Eh, I can understand why Siemens, Bosch, et. al. are upset. Dyson has this annoying habit of designing really ingenious stuff. I finally shelled out for one of Dyson's relatively expensive vacuum cleaners a few years ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Other than having to completely unspool the power cord to use the attachment wand, the design is pretty close to flawless. I love things that work beautifully.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

I love things that work beautifully.

I'd advise you to stay away from the latest version of his "air blade" hand dryer then. While the concept (of using a "blade" of air to wipe the water off your hands) is valid, the fact is that what it *actually* does is blow that water all over your shoes. Old and new models do this, but the newer one makes it impossible to avoid:

See the "V" here

M.

1. edge_e
              Happy

I encountered one of these the other day. It dried my hands in seconds and even if you don't position yourself carefully, it's only a few drops.

It's also quite funny watching people trying to dry their hands like they would under a more traditional model.

1. EveryTime

Dyson 'water blade' hand dryers

They advertise the hand dryers as being more sanitary, but the opposite is true.

They are exceptionally effective at aerosolizing germs. The Dyson hand dryer is top of the heap for taking whatever shit (literaly) you failed to wash clean and spreading to every surface in the restroom.

Now try not to think of that fact every time you use one going forward.

1. Mystic Megabyte
                  Unhappy

Re: Dyson 'water blade' hand dryers @Everytime

"They advertise the hand dryers as being more sanitary, but the opposite is true."

"They are exceptionally effective at aerosolizing germs."

I think you'll find that is fake news put out by a rival.

What *is* really good at aerosolizing germs are those UV lamp electric fly killers that explode the contents of the insect over nearby food.

Now try not to think of that fact every time you go into a butchers shop.

2. Infernoz Bronze badge
                  Holmes

Re: Dyson 'water blade' hand dryers

Hygiene is why decent communal wash/toilet facilities now have one-use fabric (then maybe washed) or paper towels, have discontinued providing flawed, continuous, fabric-roll, towel machines, and removed all air driers.

Paper towels maybe annoying and seem wasteful, but are far safer that all hot air dryers, especially for retards who don't wash their hands properly!

Also we can't rely on synthetic sanitiser chemicals because they can be harmful to humans, and their use in soap, toothpaste and kitchen equipment is stupidly counter productive, because it can also causes selection of resistant microorganisms, so direct physical cleaning methods using warm water, detergents/soap (if used), then clean towels are safer and more reliable!

2. Snorlax Silver badge

@Martin an gof: We've got them in the toilets here at work. Our electrical engineering interns cranked up the power on one so it dries your hands in 4 or 5 seconds. Only problem is it's so powerful it blows water back up in your face.

3. Omgwtfbbqtime
              Pint

I find those airblade urinals spray your pee everywhere....

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> I find those airblade urinals spray your pee everywhere....

But at least they get rid of that drop that always waits until you've put it back in your boxers.

2. eldakka
                Facepalm

@Omgwtfbbqtime

I find those airblade urinals spray your pee everywhere....

In the words of the late Steve Jobs:

"You're holding it wrong"

4. Nifty Silver badge

In fact all the new V type and 'slot' dryers blow a nice fine spray (some brought up from the stagnant wet pool at the bottom of the 'well'), around the room for you & everyone to breath in. A Legionairs (and many other) disease paradise that needs an EU infectiousness test if anything ever did. Oh and you can't avoid touching the internal edges wet from previous user.

2. gc73

Turn the "hook" the cord loops over at the top to point down. The whole coil can then be lifted off in one.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>> "A sensor puts the Siemens Q8.0 and Bosch GL80 models into low power mode in pristine conditions – such as a lab test – then ramps it up again for everyday use."

> So it's clearly a defeat device, as per VW. What other function can it have?

Without defining what kind of sensor measurement is done you can't make that conclusion.

If it measures passing particles in the airflow and regulates power accordingly it would mostly be an energy saving/noise reduction feature in everyday use.

If it measures "drag", i.e. reduction of airflow caused by the full dust bag and accordingly powers up to maintain adequate suckage it is also a feature that makes sense in everyday use.

I think the problem hinges on "pristine". Likely a model with a brand-new bag (or none at all) is used. Also it is used in the mentioned "clean room" setting, without doing any actual work. In those two cases those otherwise useful sensor control mechanisms would give measurements different from everyday use, yet not exactly "cheating". They are just working as designed for everyday use. The test setup has the defeat built in.

If it's a accelerometer that detects that the device is absolutely stationary and regulates power down you're getting awfully close to a proper defeat device.

A real defeat device is what you have when a bit of hard/software actually measures where it is, what it does and guesstimates whether it might be on the test stand right now and switch over to an operating modus that essentially can not ever happen in everyday use.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If it measures "drag", i.e. reduction of airflow caused by the full dust bag and accordingly powers up to maintain adequate suckage it is also a feature that makes sense in everyday use."

Well, other than the energy efficiency rating being based on an empty bag and that it ramps up to over double the energy usage when actually in use, ie after the first few minutes of use it's almost certainly using a lot more energy than the rating. It strikes me as legalised fraud against the consumer.

2. Pangasinan Philippines

Re: Petty? "A hoover that used less power when it had less work to do is good idea."

Which is exactly what they made many years ago using a particle sensor to adjust the motor power.

It was the top of the range and thus expensive.

Didn't sell very well though, Dyson was really raking it in with "All of the power, all of the time".

Side note.

Before Dyson appeared on the scene (1970s sometime) the trade magazine ERT (Electrical and retail trade magazine) carried a full page advert from Hoover showing a treasure chest full of gold that told traders to stock up on the company's paper bags implying that great profits would be made by selling them (to us users of course).

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"A hoover that used less power when it had less work to do is good idea.

Doesn't make it a defeat device as such."

Except when the bag starts to fill and the unit is drawing more power than the cap limit that it's not supposed to exceed according to the regulations.

2. Cuddles

"The EU were effectively saying that a "defeat device" (to quote Dyson) was permitted to be used, making an energy-efficient machine appear to be less efficient than a less efficient machine (on those energy efficient labels that are mandated)."

It's worth noting that it's somewhat more complicated than that. While Dyson is correct that the tests are unfair, there are no defeat devices or cheating involved and it's nothing like the VW case. The issue is simply that before Dyson came along, all hoovers would lose suction power as they filled up. The tests they have to pass are run on a pristine machine in a clean environment, while real world use will see significantly reduced efficiency and increased power draw. Note that this does not involve cheating or detecting tests at all, it's simply that hoovers detect the conditions they're in and adjust power use to that. And as long as all hoovers worked basically the same way, the fact that real power use didn't match the tests didn't really matter because they were all affected the same way.

This only became an issue when Dyson introduced new technology that isn't affected the same way - the big selling point of their design is that suction remains the same even when the hoover starts filling up. This means that Dyson's results in tests are actually close to the behaviour in the real world, and therefore the tests put Dyson at a big disadvantage - a Dyson hoover rated at 500W will always use 500W, while a competitor might use 1kW in the real world but still be allowed to advertise it at the same 500W as the Dyson.

But importantly, note that no competitor has actually done anything wrong. Their hoovers still behave in exactly the same way they always have, and legitimately pass the tests the same way they always have. The problem is simply that tests which were flawed but acceptable for the established technology are utterly irrelevant to new technology, in a way that now puts one company at a big disadvantage. And the second problem was that the people who actually administer the tests don't appear to care in the slightest, and even said that Dyson didn't have a right to complain if he didn't do their entire job for them and design new tests that would work for everything - this new ruling specifically states that such tests already exist and that for the previous court to rule against Dyson solely due to the lack of tests rather than on the actual problem was nonsense.

So overall, Dyson is massively overstating his case by accusing his competitors of actual cheating and the EC of facilitating it. But the fundamental point of the tests being unfair and the authorities needing to be taken to court to fix it because they refuse to do their jobs is entirely correct. Hopefully Dyson will now win the original case, but I doubt he'll do well in the separate suit against the other manufacturers.

(For the record, I haven't owned a Dyson hoover since mine caught fire after just a couple of years. Dyson appears to be in the right when it comes to these issues with regulation, but I wouldn't actually recommend his products.)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"This only became an issue when Dyson introduced new technology that isn't affected the same way "

FYI Dysons take on cyclone technology pre-dates the regulations by a large margins.

4. Steve D
    FAIL

Did Dyson participate in the standards setting process?

This is precisely why it is important to actually participate in the standards setting process. It is a very dull, detail-orientated and time consuming process. No-one else is going to do it for you, because unless they are actually in the same industry they will not be as alert for all the ways you can get fucked over.

True example: About 16 years ago there was a British Standard being drafted concerning eddy current non-destructive testing instruments. One clause stated that the instrument must be returned to the manufacturer for annual calibration. That would have guaranteed the manufacturers a nice steady income stream, and cut out perfectly competent and cost-effective independent calibrate-and-repair companies.

Of course, being in Europe we have a right to participate in the standards drafting process. After brexit goods will still have to comply with EU standards to get into Europe (that's what CE marking is all about), but we will be able to do absolutely nothing about what is written in the standards documents.

1. SteveastroUk

Re: Did Dyson participate in the standards setting process?

Well, no, to participate in the European standard making process you have to be a member of a recognised body, or a stake-holder in the standard - and invited to participate. I know American companies who serve on EU standards bodies.

Contrast that with the ASTM in the USA, where anyone can turn up to their meetings and have their say. If its worth listening to, its acted on.

That's speaking as a member of European and US standard making bodies. The EU ones are a fix-up, as this and dieselgate should have demonstrated.

That's speaking as a member of European and US standard making bodies. The EU ones are a fix-up, as this and dieselgate should have demonstrated.

You mean there are no US standards, such as those set by the FTC, SEC or FCC, that aren't fix ups? Nowhere is perfect on this.

Any industry with a large investment is going to see a huge amount of lobbying, whether of the standards bodies or legislators or regulators. VW's blatant and egregious flouting of the rules should also be seen in the context that US rules favour petrol engines over diesel engines, because that's what US manufacturers favour. And it should also be noted that it was the California agency that rang the alarm. Now that the EPA is effectively being wound down there will no doubt be pressure in the US to defang the Californian agency, which often acts to set de facto standards for the whole country.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but we will be able to do absolutely nothing about what is written in the standards documents.

Why do you think that? US companies participate in EU standards bodies, and EU companies in US and worldwide standards bodies. For this, as with so many Brexit myths, leaving the EU may end mandatory participation in many things, but does not in any way block voluntary participation.

3. eldakka

@Steve D

This is precisely why it is important to actually participate in the standards setting process. It is a very dull, detail-orientated and time consuming process. No-one else is going to do it for you, because unless they are actually in the same industry they will not be as alert for all the ways you can get fucked over.

It is not the industries job, or any private individuals for that matter, to set the standards that are a result of governmental legislation.

If the government passes legislation setting certain standards, it is their job to set the standards. If they don't have the appropriate in-house expertise to set those standards, whether it be medical, energy production, mining, manufacturing, drugs, what have you, then it is up to the government to obtain that expertise by hiring (either direct employment of contractors/consultants) those that do.

Why should they expect the work required to set a standard, a standard they are mandating, be done for free? The costs involved to companies to participate in such processes can be millions, why should the government get that work for free?

And a legislated standard, like any law, is subject to challenge in the courts. So why participate, for free, in a standards process when if you don't agree with the results you can take absolutely appropriate path of sueing in court?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

1.6 kW

Dyson has separately sued Bosch and Siemens' parent company BSH after finding that 750W-rated appliances really draw over 1600W of power when full. A sensor puts the Siemens Q8.0 and Bosch GL80 models into low power mode in pristine conditions – such as a lab test – then ramps it up again for everyday use.

Does that mean that these models actually draw 1.6 kW? If so, I am going to buy one pronto before they change them!

The current 900 watt EU-mandated limit is stupid. If they wanted to save energy and greenhouse gases, then they should have limited the power output of cars instead, as vacuum cleaners contribute precisely bugger all to global warming. But then, as others have pointed out, a Eurocrat probably loves his 5.5 litre Mercedes-Benz but isn't going to be pushing a vacuum cleaner around.

So, at least Brexit isn't all bad. We might have the mother of all recessions when half our export market disappears overnight, but those happy few who still have jobs - working for official receivers and Jobcentres etc - might at least be able to buy a decent vacuum cleaner.

1. SkippyBing

Re: 1.6 kW

'as vacuum cleaners contribute precisely bugger all to global warming'

Wait, what, that should be the headline there, vacuum cleaners don't need an energy source*. Or get warm when the motor runs.

*Granted that may be from a renewable source but if we all had 2kW hoovers** then it'd be a fuck load harder moving away from fossil fuels.

**Yes fuck you I'm using it as a common noun.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Wait, what, that should be the headline there, vacuum cleaners don't need an energy source*. Or get warm when the motor runs.

So, which do you think uses more energy? A 1.6 kW vacuum cleaner used for 20 minutes a week, or a 327 kW BMW 7 Series driven for 6 hours a week. How do you think the amount of energy used in a year by vacuum cleaners in Europe compares to the amount of energy used by road transport?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The current 900 watt EU-mandated limit is stupid.

It is, but mostly because of politicians who flunked high school physics and don't know the difference between power and energy, but still feel qualified to legislate on them.

3. MrRimmerSIR!

"So, at least Brexit isn't all bad. We might have the mother of all recessions when half our export market disappears overnight, but those happy few who still have jobs - working for official receivers and Jobcentres etc - might at least be able to buy a decent vacuum cleaner."

Where is the market disappearing to? You do know it is still possible to buy AND sell to markets outside the EU from within the EU?

Although seeing fewer BMW/Audi cars on the roads would be nice.

6. ad47uk

I can see his point

As much as I do not like Dyson products, I do see his point of view.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DYSUN is like TRUMP

Both DYSAN AND TRUMP are WINNERS who ARE BUILDING WALLS AHA ST THE SCUM beaurocfats WHO AWANT TO,TAKE JOBs away from citizens WHO PAY THEKR TAXES AND WANT THEIR CLINTRY TO BE SUCCESSFUL. AND WORLD LEADING. They tried to stop DYSON and they tried to stop TRUMP. BOTH FAILED. I notice that NO GUARDIAN READING left wing social justice warriors now want to say anything. Because they are CRYING INTO THEIR LENTELS. . It JUST GOES to,show AGAIN again that IWANKER TRAMP was completely correct about CORMEY AND THE EU tying honest workers up in RED TAPE. THIS IS LIKE OBAMA WHO PREACHED peace yet is probably PAID A MILLION DOLLARS FOR a speech AND PAID FOR TERRORISTS TO GO TRANS GENDER IN TOILETS. And CLIMTOM.

1. Mark Exclamation

Re: DYSUN is like TRUMP

WhAt?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh do be QUIET. Come to think of it, learning to spell properly wold be a good move too.

Cheers… Ishy

1. Intractable Potsherd

Oh, come on, Ishtiaq - didn't the "IWANKER TRAMP" give it away that this is a spoof comment? It is the second one by this commentard I've read today, and I hope there are more - they are funny(ish)!

3. TRT Silver badge

Dyson is like Trump, as Hoover is like Hoover.

Hm...

4. eldakka
      Stop

@Anonymous Coward

Dude, these forums accept HTML markup.

Use it if you need a lot of emphasis rather than typing IN ALL CAPS all the time...people might actually read your post instead of not bothering to.

8. TRT Silver badge

At least the competition isn't...

from Microsoft. If they made a vacuum cleaner, you can bet it would be the only thing they made that didn't suck.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to really upset Dyson...

Refer to them as "hoovers", as several people have above ;-)

Reminds me of the time I was tempted to slap some kids over the head in town and exclaim "Doh!" at the same time. They were taking the piss out of their teacher "Mrs Dyson", joking "I wonder if she invented the hoover"...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How to really upset Dyson...

taking the piss out of their teacher "Mrs Dyson", joking "I wonder if she invented the hoover"...

No such thing as bad publicity!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How to really upset Dyson...

Calling anything that isn't made by Hoover a hoover at the Dyson headquarters can get you fired.

10. GortonSM

Another "cheat devise"?

This reads like some weak surreal parody ... I checked for an April first dateline.

Life is becoming more and more like some poorly constructed comedy plot.

Good for Dyson for policing such cheats.

11. Chris 239
    Thumb Down

I hate those airblade dryers.

The had them at my old employers. The noise ! I'm sure you could sue Dyson for hearing damage!

They also make a mess on the floor as they don't appear to have a drain.

Fortunately my new employer has paper towels. Silence is golden!

And another gripe about Dyson vacuums: they have a filter that can and will eventually block and reduce your suction so the "Never loses suction" is not really true.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/v6_new/dyson-v6-total-clean-cordless-uk/maintaining-your-dyson-machine/wash-the-filter-video/wash-the-pre-filter-step-by-step-guide

That said we have a V6 Animal vacuum (or "oover" as my east end born wife calls it!) and it is very impressive, I'd recomemnd it if asked.

BTW This decision does seem a rare victory for common sense!

1. SimonL

Re: I hate those airblade dryers.

I too have a V6 Animal. Great at suction but the battery life is awful.

A Dyson really does suck, but Dyson really sucks at battery technology...... lol

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon