back to article Phew! We had to order a new array to hold all of this week's Dell EMC announcements

Dell EMC is pumping out, among other things this week, updated arrays from five product families: VMAX, XtremIO, Unity, SC and Isilon. This new gear features a heavy dose of flash, new controllers, denser enclosures, higher capacities, and refreshed software. As the main revenue-earning engine of the $74bn run-rate Dell …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason there was no announcement about the PS series is because it's now a dead product, I'm told.

Shame, they were simple and reliable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

{Dell-EMC employee here, so AC}

PS series is not dead, far from it. Hardware refreshes last year. Firmware releases have continued since.

Dell has stated end of sales "...some time in 2018...", but hasn't given a fixed date, so you can still buy them and will be able to for a long while yet - as lots of cusotmers continue to do - with a migration strategy to SC series (common GUI, replication etc.)

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Thumb Up

IDPA alternatives

Thanks for the list, Chris, now I know what to shop for in terms of comparable non-EMC products.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THIS is why my customers wont even talk about EMC anymore.

4. GrumpyOF

Should be fun

watching the EMC sales reps mangling product positioning as they seem to have done for years.

Is this a deliberate attempt by Dell EMC to obfuscate the whole storage market place?, 'cos' it does seem to be a total product overload

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should be fun

"There was no VCE news."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Should be fun

VCE is dead. Tried selling a vBlock lately?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol, I think there may be a couple of 1 trick pony vendors here posting anonymously and possibly even replying to themselves. Choice is never a bad option...unless you're a rep that doesn't have any.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this barage of EMC high performance storage platforms and appliances for which you have to pay mask one thing - there is much much cheaper storage available with marginal difference in performance . This much much cheaper storage takes the lion's pie of all customer needs . All these EMC offerings are niche products which will take tiny fraction of the customer storage needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019