back to article Try to sell stuff through Facebook Marketplace and get locked out for 72 hours – nice one, Zuck

Netizens trying to sell items in Facebook Marketplace for the first time were completely locked out of the social network for 72 hours this week. The banishment appears to be a consequence of Facebook's desire to vet photos of Marketplace sellers. Facebook leaves content verification to its community because, as CEO Mark …

1. Ole Juul

competition

Sooner or later, Facebook will have a viable Craigslist competitor.

This is bad. How many other services could Facebook eventually obliterate?

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: competition

Competitor against Craigslist?

M'eh, that ain't sayin' much.

2. Flakk
    Unhappy

...Kicked off the website and asked for a personal picture of myself to help identify who I was...

That's totally not creepy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...creepy

This picture is.... insufficient. Please take a picture from the rear, bent over slightly, pouting with a look that says "I didn't mean to be bad daddy, please be gentle".

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Want a photo?

This couldn't possibly be abused, could it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Want a photo?

Not if everyone decides to send in goatse as their pic. I see nothing wrong with that.

1. Flakk
        Trollface

Re: Want a photo?

I wonder how many goatse pix it would take to turn that fancy sarcasm-detecting AI into Jame Gumb.

4. G R Goslin

Is this.....?

Is this the 'ID's', thing? I tried to log into my facebook account after a lapse of a few weeks, and was rather surprised to find that it had been disabled. On searching for a reason, I got a long list of conditions I was accused of breaking. Not one of which remotely applied to me. I was notified that I could "appeal", but the appeals page had an entry for (ID's), for which no explanation as to what constituted a valid entry was indicated. . Since I was only reluctantly enticed onto facebook, it seemed a good point to part company with this appalling concoction.

5. William 3 Bronze badge

When I heard "send in personal pictures"

I'm reminded of that episode of American Dad where Francine had to send in "personal pictures" to the "online doctor".

6. Mike Flugennock

Picture? They want a PICTURE?

Cripes, man, now I'm even more glad I ditched Facebook three or four years ago.

7. The Nazz

Fraud Detection System.

I see one, a fraud, right there.

F... all to do with fraud detection and everything to do with building the ultimate profiling data set.

And serve personalised ads ..........."Buy a years acne treatment for only $800".

Mind you, having sent a pic of the ex i've now been locked out for 72 years. Aw bless 'em.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

Facebook

Always creepy, never beaten.

9. Spudley

Surely it's obvious -- they just want a picture of your face for their book.

10. David Nash Silver badge

How does a picture help them "know who you are"?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Facial recognition across the entire facebook estate will likely identify, with a degree a certainty, many of their users who will be tagged in other photos. The 72 hours thing implies that there is some level of human interaction in the process.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like