back to article Trump's govt hiring freeze means there's no US Privacy Shield chief: We tracked down the woman filling in for now

Shortly after ascending to office, President Donald Trump triggered a hiring freeze across most branches of the US government. The resulting understaffing has been a bit of a pain for Americans – but may be a boon for Europe. The freeze left the States without an appointed ombudsman to oversee the negotiations for, and …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"than some politically installed "America First!" yahoo. "

Maybe.

Until it comes to the politically installed "America First!" yahoo-in-Chief of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "than some politically installed "America First!" yahoo. "

Maybe we should install US Presidents randomly chosen from the diplomatic services instead. Nah, because then every aspirant would have to become a diplomat, resulting in a big 'penguin party' looking like a surrealist painting.

Better anarchy than that!

1. swm Bronze badge

Re: "than some politically installed "America First!" yahoo. "

"Maybe we should install US Presidents randomly"

...as in Phillip K. Dick's "Solar Lottery"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect they hope to rely on the usual "diplomacy"

The US has never really negotiated, usually it has amounted to arm twisting by threatening with either trade regulation or not paying back some of the massive debts they are still running up every minute (which implies that any action that allows more debt creation ought to be blocked, but I digress)

Given that in Trumpism it considered it an "art" to have a winner/loser outcome instead of negotiating, I can't see that approach improve, so it depends on just how solid the EU wants to make a stand for privacy.

Legally, the US hasn't got a law/leg to stand on.

1. DougS Silver badge

Re: I suspect they hope to rely on the usual "diplomacy"

When has the US ever threatened "not paying back" some of its debts? They never have, and never will, because t bills would become worthless if the US threatened say Germany with non-payment and then other holders decided "what if we're threatened next" and decide to sell them all so they can't be used as a bargaining chip. The price would plummet, and the dollar itself would quickly become almost worthless.

No country would do that, except for one that's nearly insolvent and about to renege on their debt anyway.

1. Nolveys Silver badge

No country would do that, except for one that's nearly insolvent and about to renege on their debt anyway.

It's a good thing there aren't many countries that fit that description.

1. DougS Silver badge

I knew someone would have to be a smartass, but the US is nowhere close to insolvent. Now a country like Venezuela is probably a 50/50 bet to default on its debt in the next few years, but it's sort of a tradition that some South or Central American country will do that once a decade, so we're due.

People will bring up Greece, but the only reason they would have to default is because they can't devalue the euro. If they had never joined the EU, they would have done that years ago and been just fine. The EU is an object lesson on why a currency union without a fiscal union is ultimately doomed to failure. The question is whether the EU will heed that lesson by becoming a fiscal union (might be easier now that they don't have to keep hoping they someday get the UK to sign up as a full member) or Germany will remain stubborn until a few countries are forced to leave to fix their economies and the whole thing collapses.

3. SolidSquid

Seems like quite a sensible pick for the role. Wonder how long she'll get to keep it

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

how long will she keep her job?

As long as she does not irritate the "Tweeter-in-Chief"

I'll give it 3 months. Max.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: how long will she keep her job?

@Steve Davies 3

I wonder how long any "non-family" member of Trump's administration will last...

as you say...

I'll give it 3 months. Max.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: how long will she keep her job?

I wonder how long any "non-family" member of Trump's administration will last

Families can fall out too. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/12/ramsay_hack_plot_guilty_plea/

2. phuzz Silver badge

As long as all her reports are long and boring, and don't have any pictures, then there's no way for trump to learn what she's up to.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"In the meantime the OES is being run by a career diplomat rather than a political appointee."

Maybe this will start a new trend.

What shall we call it?

Professionalism.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Great idea but don't hold your breath on it. If what has been done to fill appointments to date is any indication, there will soon be another billionaire appointed who has a vested monetary interest in any decision or negotiation.

5. Suricou Raven Silver badge

Other possibility.

She'll spend weeks on delicate negotiations, then the government will finally get things in gear, appoint an official replacement, and said replacement will then throw it all away in an instant in favor of some policy more aligned with the current American dogma that all regulation is evil.

1. Hollerithevo Silver badge

Re: Other possibility.

Or appoint a family member.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

personal data flowing between the US and the European Union.

"personal data flowing between the US and the European Union."

personal data flowing from the European Union to the US

FTFY

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... after you scrape off all the politicians there is gold underneath?

Trump actually did a good thing... even if it was on accident.

Trump + 1

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

1. Geoffrey W Silver badge

Does Trump even know she exists? It sounds as if she was just the default boss after a failure to appoint a trump approved one, so Trump had nothing to do with it, accidental or otherwise. Once he becomes aware of her, if he reads the Register article for instance, then he will be able to fix the situation in his normal pointy haired boss style.

1. Jos V

Erm...

" if he reads the Register article for instance,"

He reads?

1. Zorg

Re: Erm...

He reads?... The Register?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019