back to article Symmetrix daddy Moshe Yanai on chair-throwing and storage

The man is an enigma, but you can't expect billionaires to be easily understood people. He has performed several storage engineering firsts; he develops products and is basically a storage legend in his own lifetime. He is also said to have a massive ego. Currently, he runs high-end storage array supplier Infinidat and two on- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's gonna be okay, son

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SROVjGhXuP0/maxresdefault.jpg

2. summea

Moshe was an amazing guy when I met him in the 90's and it is good to see that he has continued as he started..

He was part (a big part) of the tech support for Symm3 arrays and much appreciated by the EMC CEs worldwide when we had a problem.

3. Jens Goerke
    Coat

That brings back memories

When I started at my last job one of my duties was to be on call for our Symmetrixen, just to make sure we weren't relying on any affected snapshots after a disk failed and was replaced by one of their technicians.

Since then everything has to be cheap(er) so as not to affect the fiscal quarter.

Got my coat in time...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was crafty

Once upon a time Symmetrix claimed it can handle Mainframes and Unix machines in one box and claimed full data compatibility when IBM did not yet. This left the IBM engineers scratching their head how they EBCDIC <-> ASCII compatibility for every read and write across IBM/Unix. Finally they figured out that for every data transaction they were running FTP on both sides to do their conversion!

This is how he got things done...

1. Alistair
      Coat

Re: He was crafty

Say What?

?checks logs?

Yuuuup. Still have one of those running every 10 minutes or so.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon