back to article McDonald's India's delivery app was a golden honeypot

McDonald's India has 'fessed up that its app spaffed personal data to all and sundry and has urged users to install an update. Over the weekend, a post at Medium said the company's McDelivery app in India was leaking user data through a misconfigured server. The leaks, disclosed by payment security company Fallible.co, “ …

1. redpawn

Honey Pot?

Sounds to me like the opposite of a trap.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Honey Pot?

It's a Harry Pot. Pure magic!

1. JetSetJim

Re: Honey Pot?

> It's a Harry Pot. Pure magic!

Unlike Hari Puttar

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Value your privacy"

But not so much as the CTO values his bollocks. If a BOFH could just link these two value systems (perhaps via power MOSFETs) then once the unpleasant smell of scorched hair dissipated we could advance beyond platitudes.

1. danbishop

Re: "Value your privacy"

Hair? How 80's ;-)

3. Mage Silver badge

Too cute

"disclosed by payment security company Fallible.co"

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

I wonder

if their UK app they've just released is as secure? And no, it only allows you to order when in the queue in store so in theory shouldn't store anything like your home address!!!

1. Aitor 1

Re: I wonder

But of course they wanted to steal all of that.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Joke

They already have your Home Address, NI Number, Bank and Credit Card details and even your inside leg and bust measurements(delete as applicable or not). All ready for you when you apply for a position at the Golden Arches home for miscreants, wasters and idle sods.

{see Icon}

1. ridley

Don't be daft, anyone that goes to McDonalds enough to require the use of an App will have a bust regardless of gender.

3. Alumoi Silver badge

Of course it wouldn't store your home address, it just slurps and sends to the mothership all it can eat!

4. TheProf
      Facepalm

"only allows you to order when in the queue in store "

Having never ordered (or eaten) anything from McDonalds I'm wondering how useful it would be to order using a phone app while waiting in a queue. Is it any quicker?

The 'normal' situation appears to be like that in Argos. Queue to order, queue to collect.

I'm assuming that one still needs to queue to pay for the order. If so, where's the advantage to the customer?

Ah, stupid me. I was thinking about it from a customers point of view. Obviously the app is for the benefit of McDonalds.

(Slaps forehead as the real world slowly sinks in.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Having never ordered (or eaten) anything from McDonalds I'm wondering how useful it would be to order using a phone app while waiting in a queue. Is it any quicker?

It's for when the store is in a busy tourist city in one country; the staff come from another country; and the customers from a third. Language becomes optional.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

See....

...that's what happens when you outsource your IT to the USA.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And so we have a new term..

.. following in the wake of McJob, we now have a McFuckup.

Well done.

7. tiggity Silver badge

Slurpage

McD love slurpage.

I was once in situation where wifi connection would have been useful (not spot, needed to ring or text SO but wifi would let me use VOIP solution)

There was McD nearby and it had supposedly "open" wifi, however as soon as I tried to use it was a login scenario that wanted various personal data before you could get credentials to login.

So my phone call had to wait, did not want my details sloshing around in their database

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slurpage

Oh no, someone wanted something in return for providing a service.

"Open" simply means you don't need the wireless key, you can still whack a captive portal in the way,

8. Gordon Pryra

Far easier to buy it

Slightly "tongue in cheek"

The data is not ordered and you would need to know the name of the person you are requesting data about. Its far easier to just buy the information from the company holding it. That way it would be nicely ordered and probably very cheap for the whole database.

More Seriously.

People REALLY need to look at what things mean when they accept the access requirements from an app they install.

McDonalds is NOT your friend, why the hell would you trust them with the very deep access that this app requires?

Ignoring the fact that they treat security much like they treat nutrition, a private company exists to make money, and asking for your data is .... to make them money.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If something is free, YOU are the product being sold

That is all.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Over 100 gazillion requestburgers served

McDonalds India gave the usual “value your privacy” explanation

It probably tasked like chicken.

1. Tom 7

Re: Over 100 gazillion requestburgers served

That would be a first for them!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I deduce it was the clown that wrote the app and the hamburglar stole the data.

12. Adam JC

What a monumental McFuckup!

13. an it guy

Quite a few things are bad here

1. user profile without authentication

2. data served over http, not SSL

3. complete address information is not needed to process an order. the only part needed is the house number and the numbers from the postcode. that's what actually gets matched. the rest is fluff to make the user know it's their address.

4. All that and a global company has not been responsive on security issues.

But seriously, a delivery service? when I've (really rarely) had stuff from the "yellow crayon arches", I see that nuggets are lethally hot, but everything else is lukewarm. delivery will only help the lukewarm get even more so...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cheap tat

That ProcessUser.svc end point is a .NET WCF service hosted on microsoft iis. Not all stuff developed on top of Microsoft's stack is rubbish and it is 100% possible to create something reasonably secure if it's done right. This is flat out garbage and stinks of "we need a service layer, any .Net developer can develop one of those..hire a cheap one"

15. Mr Dogshit

I'm lovin' it™

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chicken McFuckit

Im off to KFC now. Fuck it.

17. Jonathan 27

Honestly, in India, I doubt many people will care. Privacy isn't something that a lot of people value. Only really the very rich can afford privacy over there.

1. agnii

Privacy, not a right here.

Agree not too finicky about privacy here, I think that can be said for any poor/third world country, but I wonder why it's such a big deal in all the 'advanced' nations. I mean all the people are doing the same thing. From buying/aspiring to same phones to eating the same food.

Recently Finance minster said privacy is not a fundamental right and people cannot demand it, in response to leakage of Aadhar data.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting choice of supplier for another one of McDonalds India apps and hospitality/communication skills training!

Supplier: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/fraudster-tony-hindhaugh-lied-salary-1464719

App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smex-hospitality/id1166499529?mt=8

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like