back to article Nokia 3310 'Supremo Putin' edition goes on sale in Russia

Hot on the heels of the resurrected Nokia 3310 comes news of Russian outfit “Caviar” creating a Vladimir-Putin-Themed mod for the retro handset. The company says the “Supremo Putin” offers a bas-relief of the president, plus “plaques with a quote from the National Anthem and a thin mesh-like engraving, applied to the body by …

1. J.Smith

Outraged citizen

Putin is so evil, mind, that he'll connect the phone up and use it to hack other countries, with his own actual hands. And it will have a button to send evil texts to manipulate other governments. His audacity will only be extended with this narcissistic accessory.

Why is this phone being allowed? This tech will only allow Putin to manipulate and control us when we vote.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Outraged citizen

"This tech will only allow Putin to manipulate and control us when we vote."

Says more about the stupidity of the American people that they think they can be tricked by a Russian to vote for someone they don't like, than it does about Putin's intentions.

1. Lotaresco

Re: Outraged citizen

"Says more about the stupidity of the American people that they think they can be tricked by a Russian to vote for someone they don't like, than it does about Putin's intentions."

There's a failure to understand electoral manipulation on your part. The people were not tricked into voting for somebody they didn't like. The people were convinced that the alternative was to elect someone they came to hate. Their hate was fed by the ability of the Russians to obtain information from the computer systems of the party to be hated and feed that information to the party that the Russians wanted to see elected.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Old Handle

Can you still lock/unlock the keypad by pressing * and the left button?

3. Cameron Colley
    Coat

Wot no WAP?

It might be worth it if it were the 3330 complete with WAP.

4. Lord Schwindratzheim

Does it ship...

...with Jeff Sessions on speed dial?

1. Swarthy
      Trollface

Re: Does it ship...

I say, I say, do you mean The Honorable[sic] Senator Beauregard Sessions?

Sounds even better if you read it in Foghorn Leghorn's voice

5. Chris Miller

Since the target market is Russians (I can't imagine there are many potential customers outside Russia prepared to drop a 4-figure sum on a piece of ironic, retro bling), I wonder why the branding and menus aren't in Cyrillic? Or is the picture just a mock-up?

1. Lotaresco

" I wonder why the branding and menus aren't in Cyrillic?"

Possibly for the same reason that the Yakuza buy left hand drive Mercedes despite the Japanese driving on the left. It's making a statement.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

"Possibly for the same reason that the Yakuza buy left hand drive Mercedes despite the Japanese driving on the left. It's making a statement."

It also means you can drive and do a drive-by shooting at the same time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the Brexit one?

It sounds like the kind of tat that would sell to the hard of thinking.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Where's the Brexit one?

The Brexit version would be a copy of a GPO type 706 telephone, or for really hard Brexiters, a type 332 in Bakelite.

Or, if you're Jacob Rees Mogg, a type 150 candlestick phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the Brexit one?

Doesn't Jacob have staff to do all that grubby telephony nonsense on his behalf? If he needs to send a message there is nothing wrong with a small handwritten note, sealed with wax and delivered by a consumptive orphan.

7. Lotaresco

Retro tech.

I read that as "retch".

8. Fihart

outmoded Nokia for outmoded regime

Putin phone will soon be found among other soviet-era detritus like Zenith cameras that turn up in charity shops.

1. gypsythief

Re: outmoded Nokia for outmoded regime

I have a soviet-era detritus watch: a Vostok Komandirskie with a perpetual mechanical movement.

It's got a hell of a lot longer battery life than those new-fangled iWatch thingummies, I can tell you.

9. Elfo74
    Coat

twitter

"assharwood" hehehe nice twitter handle.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Question

Is it powered by Polonium??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Question

No I beleive you're confusing this device with thr Polonaroid camera.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vladimir

Vladimir Vladimir riding through the glen.

Vladimir Vladimir his shirt is off again.

Hates all the gays but acts like a queer.

Vladimir

Vladimir

What a queer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like