back to article Splitsville: Toshiba prepares to lose its memory

Toshiba confirms its memory business will be separated from the main Toshiba business in preparation for a part or majority stake sale. The memory business, which is part of Toshiba’s Storage and Electronic Devices Solutions Company, includes Toshiba’s SSD operation (development, manufacturing and sales) but not its image …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discontinued Toshiba HDD Biz

Toshiba seems to have discontinued their HGST line of 3.5'' mechanical Hard Drives, you'd almost think it was a cosy deal between Seagate / Western Digital and Toshiba, in order to get the WD/HGST merger past regulators, to leave just two manufacturers. Well one, if you have any sense.

After all, there is nothing to say a third manufacturer will keep manufacturing them, post merger. Shame, as the Tosh's were pretty good while they lasted.

If you buy a Toshiba HDD today, good luck chasing that Warranty if it fails at some point down the line.

Hence why 5TB+ mechanical hard disk prices (for NAS usage i.e PMR not SMR) seems to be squarely aimed at corporate buyers now, and prices have been rising fast.

Either that, or Theresa May is using them all for her endless data slurping projects, affecting market prices. And no, its not just post-Brexit's crap exchange rate, though that isn't helping.

We need another Western Digtal Caption Competition on El-Reg.

1. Warm Braw Silver badge

Re: Discontinued Toshiba HDD Biz

AFAIK, only the consumer/desktop business was returned to Toshiba under regulatory pressure. I'm not sure 5TB+ is in that space. You could probably argue that the future of consumer/desktop is flash in any case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Discontinued Toshiba HDD Biz

I'd assume any Toshiba xTB+ SATA Internal or External USB 3.5'' Hard Drive fits that category. Certainly seems a merger too far.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019