back to article Verisign probed by US Dept of Justice over $135m .web auction

The US Department of Justice is digging into the highly unusual auction of internet extension .web last year, the company that purchased it has admitted. Speaking on Verisign's quarterly earnings conference call on Thursday, CEO Jim Bidzos told investors that on January 18 the registry had received a civil investigative demand …

1. Steve Aubrey

Walks like a duck

The speed at which the appeal was denied is not proof of funny business - but does lend itself to the suspicion of some flavor of mutual back-scratching.

2. J. R. Hartley

Verisign are scum

Absolute scum

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... about those affidavits?

4. Terje
    Coat

This sounds lie something that definitely need to be looked into. Not only Verisign but atleast as much ICANN.

Mine's the one with the thick brown envelope.

5. GrapeBunch

Private auction

"Nu Dot Co was the only one out of those seven that refused to take part in a private auction where the proceeds would be shared between the companies rather than a public auction where the money would be given to domain name overseer ICANN."

Elsewhere, the "private auction" concept would be frowned upon, possibly even illegal. How does it further the public good?

1. dbannon

Re: Private auction

Yes, I also found that a very puzzling sentence. I think the author could enlarge on it a bit, he/she must understand the background (or would not write it up) so please share.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like