back to article Departing Autodesk CEO says he became dumber and less funny the moment he quit

Carl Bass says quitting will mean people stop laughing at his jokes as we noted in passing yesterday, Autodesk's Carl Bass has stepped aside as CEO. And now he's penned an unusually sincere missive explaining why. Bass writes that “When I first became CEO, people asked me what it was like and I joked 'I immediately became …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got one thing to say to this ex-CEO

Blender 2.8...

You can shove Subscription models up your robot's A$$....

Time to end Autodesk's oppressive Max/Maya dominance...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Got one thing to say to this ex-CEO

Blender isn't an alternative to many of Autodesk's products. If Blender works for you for visualisation and animation, good for you.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Just to clarify: I wasn't knocking the quality of Blender, but it a tool that serves a different purpose to things like AutoDesk Inventor (or D'Assault's Solidworks, Siemen's NX etc etc)- engineering and construction PLM software. The open-source equivalent to these isn't Blender but FreeCAD (though it doesn't look to be as developed). As the OP observed, Blender does the same sort of things as AutoDesk Maya - animation, game assets, special effects, product rendering etc. You might use Blender or Maya to create a CGI car for a movie, but you wouldn't use it to engineer a real car.

For may people's purposes ( modelling and a bit of light Compuer Aided Manufacture) the relatively low-cost Rhinoceros 3D is good enough, and it as some strengths of its own such as support for procedurally-generated geometry via a plug-in. For some people, it justifies its cost just as a file conversion utility.

One exciting trend in the last few years has been the integration of parametric CAD (a la Inventor) with free-form modelling (a la Maya) within the same environment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. If you make cars or industrial stuff then you can pay for industrial tools like Maya, but lots of users of Max and Maya, like me are on a budget and blender does everything 3d that's not real world exceptionally well.

I liked Maya but it was always a hacked copy, $10k + is not a universal price tag.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Indeed, CAD has always had a high price tag, traditionally lost in the $100K cost of the hardware required to run it, or the millions invested in the car plant or oil rig being designed.

I've seen small manufacturing shops running happily on Rhinoceros 3D, more affordably priced at 'only' £700ish, especially considering the thousands that a modest CNC mill costs.

Here's the lovely thing though - these design tools allow for hardware to be made less expensively. We're used to the idea of silicon becoming cheaper every year, but advancements in manufacturing tools allow physical objects to be made at greater quality for the same price.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I've seen small manufacturing shops running happily on Rhinoceros 3D, more affordably priced at 'only' £700ish.

Were they using the CAM plug-in (RhinoCAM) then, which is general several times that cost?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'dumber and less funny'

Like subscription models...

3. Potemkine Silver badge

And don't forget your pills

I am not leaving to spend more time with my family [...] I will, however, be spending more time in my shop with my robots

21 percent of CEOs are psychopaths

4. DropBear

Awww, so sorry to see him go. The brain-dead move to subscription of Eagle that definitely happened on his watch is basically guaranteed to contribute so nicely to KiCAD's popularity...

1. fajensen

basically guaranteed to contribute so nicely to KiCAD's popularity...

If this popularity and the deluge of 'noob'-questions will force KiCAD to fix its totally obtuse handling of component libraries then ... this is very good.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

All careers end in failure. Remember that. You will never, ever, get all that you wanted done. And you can't please all the people all of the time. Or even some of the time.

With that in mind, this missive from the CEO sounds a lot better than the usual sterilized nonsense, and for those that point out that 21% of CEOs are nut jobs, well, 79% of them were not. So let's give the guy some credit for trying. Or would you prefer to sit in the peanut gallery, take potshots and encourage the next letter writer to spout pablum?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon