back to article What might HPE do with SimpliVity?

HPE recently purchased SimpliVity for $650m. Some folks, like me, think this was a heck of a bargain for HPE. Others – most notably SimpliVity's competitors – think SimpliVity wasn't worth all that much anyways. The debate has gone back and forth for over a week now and it's time to focus on what HPE might actually do with …

1. Stoneshop Silver badge
    Facepalm

what HPE might actually do with SimpliVity.

Given past acquisitions: initially nothing, then some half-hearted attempts to bodge it into their portfolio, where nobody looks at it, no-one understands what it's supposed to be better at than similar offerings, it doesn't sell so it's left to wither, with finally a humongous writeoff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what HPE might actually do with SimpliVity.

Given 3PAR was an acquisition and successfully integrated, as were other product lines; it gets a little tiring to read these trite lines repeatedly. Sometimes it works for large corporations, sometimes it does not; this is nature of business.

Personally I never came across the dedup argument in a 3PAR deal, much more likely in a HC250, or HC380 deal. Given Nutanix reluctance to publish performance data it is always worth noting the performance cost of the dedup solution and encouraging clients to test for themselves.

and yes, hybrid is still 'a thing'. Go find out how much private infrastructure 'cloud native' companies like Uber and AirBnB have; the answer may shock you. Cloud app models are a business strategy, not an infrastructure strategy.

Disclaimer - HPE employee

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facts

You keep mentioning that vendors might use HCI products for Azure stack to compete. Microsoft will only allow storage spaces direct as the storage under Azure stack. This may change down the road but will prevent HPE in using SimpliVity or other vendors from doing the same thing.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Facts

It will change down the road if one of the big vendors has sufficiently good reason to make it change. Alternately, you can use SimpliVity's technology to provide dedupe without necessarily using it as the underpinning of an HCI-like storage solution. There are plenty of ways to skin that cat, but I am putting my money on "HPE gets Microsoft to change the rules".

Change. It's the only constant in the universe.

3. Nate Amsden

competitors should be scared

The smaller ones anyway, probably not DEMCVMWARE or Nutanix. All of the smaller fry HCI folks should be scared though(have little doubt they won't publicly admit that though), maybe one or two more will get lucky and get bought by Lenovo or maybe HDS or NetApp or Cisco. Their niche just got a lot smaller

(disclaimer I have never used HCI anything from anybody, my shit remains entirely unconverged at this time)

After reading the article I wanted to toss out there that 3PAR has duplication of course but it lacks compression. That feature is coming...it has been coming since I first heard about it 5 or 6 years ago..it's just around the corner..or so I was told 18 months ago. Hopefully the wait will be worth it (3PAR customer for 11 years now).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inventing Converged Infrastructure - Again

Funny how the picture shows Dell M1000e with EqualLogic PSM4110 storage. Composable infrastructure, anno 2012...

#IworkForDellEMC

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Inventing Converged Infrastructure - Again

Dude, it was like 5 in the morning and they were servers flying through clouds.

Hush.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I'm not sure I buy SimpliVity's sales team being that incompetent"

I knew their former "Corporate SE" well.

Some of them were.

He ultimately went out and got a Real Estate license...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019