back to article CHEERS! Office 2013 now on Wine 2.0

Microsoft may have relinquished SQL Server's Windows monogamy and let Linux join the party, but still it refuses to yield Office. Open-sourcers, however, have stepped in where Redmond fears to tread. Wine 2.0 has been released following a year in development with support for Office 2013 among a list of 6,600 changes. Wine is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...well I guess you could say it reached version 1.0 in 2008 but its been around a bit longer than that.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Dates + discussion

Thanks - we've clarified the dates in the story. Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot anything wrong.

Also, discussion about Wine 2.0 is continuing over here on our earlier story. I've closed this topic to keep all chat about the software in one place.

C.

2. wolfetone Silver badge
    Linux

Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

Feels good to be a freetard.

Viva Linux!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

Yes, free... apart from the Office 2013 license. But as you say, free....

1. TVU Silver badge

Re: Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh

"Yes, free... apart from the Office 2013 license. But as you say, free..."

But personally I don't think there's any real need to use MS Office anyway since there are a number of native Linux alternatives such as the usual LibreOffice and OpenOffice plus Softmaker Office (paid-for), FreeOffice (free) and WPS Office (free) and the last three do have good Microsoft compatibility. Not only that, anyone on Linux or macOS can always use Microsoft's free Office Online apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Alas, Word isn't totally replaceable.

Actually, I know someone who uses Word because the clients require formatted Word docs as output files, and the alternatives create weird artifacts in the exported Word docs they create. Of course, that is largely a result of barriers and problems that MS has created rather than being the fault of LibreOffice et al, but the clients don't care; they just want their translated Word docs to be formatted exactly like the Word originals.

Anon because, Trump.

3. monty75

Wow. Two releases in one day https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/25/wine_2_0_debuts/

4. FireBurn

Drinking too much Wine

The initial release of Wine according to wikipedia was 4 July 1993; 23 years ago

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Drinking too much Wine

I read the blurb differently (ignoring the summary box). Development work started in 1993, but "Wine officially entered beta with version 0.9 on 25 October 2005"

It was definitely a thing before 2008 though.

5. Alien Doctor 1.1

Ooooh...

I wonder if my massive collection of old games, useless in my new win10 box, can now run under linux with wine2?

All the games ran either in xp or (for the older ones) they booted directly from their own cd based os's.

I just wish I could sue m$ for the money I spent on games that still mean something to me, without having to buy them again on dl sources like gog; every game is still pristine, but used, and fully boxed.

AD

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Ooooh...

Perhaps they could port Wine to Win10...

2. Michael B.

Fire up a VM and you can run them in the OS they were designed for. Windows 10 has Hyper-V built in.

3. Donn Bly

Why would you sue Microsoft? I'm sure the games would run just fine on the computer you had when you bought them, if you still had it. It isn't their fault that you wanted different functionality and upgraded (Though I am not sure that upgrade is the right word, as progressing through the Windows versions is more of a lateral slide into a cesspool)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019