back to article Jinn workers besiege delivery app co-founder to protest wage changes

Unpaid workers for the "sharing economy" delivery outfit Jinn who claimed they hadn't been paid besieged the company's co-founder to demand their wages last week. The angry encounter was captured on video by Reg reader Gareth Davies. Couriers surrounded co-founder and chief operating officer Leon Herrera Saez-Benito outside …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Appointing Wosskow seems akin to appointing Rolf Harris to see if paedoes are a bad thing.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Gig economy?

It's merely using the Web to exploit naive workers, like has been going on before the Internet existed. Show me one of these companies that isn't undercutting real businesses that pay insurance, tax and holidays by exploiting their workers by pretending they are not employees.

3. Warm Braw

Interesting distinction...

If you happen to be mad enough to sign up for servitude via their externally-hosted WUFOO form for a job in Edinburgh, you'll be asked to confirm you're registered as self-employed. If you sign up for apparently the same job in London, you won't, but you will be asked for your bank account number and sort code. So it's really not clear how its London workers are neither banked nor employed.

Unsurprisingly, you won't find any delivery drone jobs on their "careers" page - at least they're not that disingenuous...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've little sympathy for him

A lot of these tech "entrepreneurs" seem to think normal working rules and practices don't apply to them. because ... , well, who knows, arrogance with a side ordering of sociopathy I should imagine. Seems in this case the Kool Kid found out the hard way that his workers don't quite see it that way.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: I've little sympathy for him

A minor edit if I may be so bold...

A lot of these tech "entrepreneurs" seem to think normal working rules and practices don't apply to them because... "we're sooooo cool", "and it's the web innit?", "and life is so lovely in our web 2.0 force field bubble", "and because we're being disruptiv8in", "and coz we'd rather do first and ask permission l8erz... becoz Google yeah?"

"Oh yeah... and that exploiting cheap labour thing. Just don't mention the exploiting cheap labour thing ok? Ok."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Targeting immigrants as a workforce?

In the UK?? That doesn't seem like a good long term strategy what with Brexit and all.

1. MonkeyCee

Re: Targeting immigrants as a workforce?

"In the UK?? That doesn't seem like a good long term strategy what with Brexit and all."

Unless you're hell bent on employing EU workers, brexit is going to make ZERO difference to the ability for immigrant workers to come to the UK. Turns out if you reduce the supply from area, it increases from others.

Half the current immigration (120-150 thousand a year net, 280-300k gross) comes from countries outside the EU, over which the UK has pretty full control over whom they let in. Despite much talk from T.May, both as her stint in the Home Office and as PM, she has presided over the largest amount of immigration to the UK for 30 years.

It's all in the carefully chosen words. "Taking control over immigration" "control of our borders" "getting the right sort of migrants". Sounds enough like "kick out the furrners" to get the racist vote, while allowing the politicians plenty of wriggle room to keep the supply of cheaper labour entering the market while waving their hands and saying "we never promised *that* you silly peons".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Despite much talk from T.May, both as her stint in the Home Office and as PM, she has presided over the largest amount of immigration to the UK for 30 years."

And - as a side note - she managed to seriously piss off the entire police force ... sorry, "service" ... which is probably somewhere in the top 3 list of no-nos for a home secretary.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's all in the carefully chosen words. "Taking control over immigration" "control of our borders" "getting the right sort of migrants". Sounds enough like "kick out the furrners" to get the racist vote, while allowing the politicians plenty of wriggle room to keep the supply of cheaper labour entering the market while waving their hands and saying "we never promised *that* you silly peons"."

If the current government don't control non EU immigration then UKIP will probably get quite a few MPs next election...They already got more votes than the SNP who have 50...

2. Mike Moyle

As long is it works long enough for the founders and the first-round investors to get their money out, that's "long-term" isn't it?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If the government was actually serious about immigration it would have started with some kind of system to count people in & out of the country. As it is, the immigration figures are based on voluntary surveys covering a non-random selection of international flights - which of course makes them ideal for political posturing.

6. earl grey
    Flame

incentivise

Sounds like someone need a high voltage discharge to the bollocks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Jinn pre-paying basic rate tax on those salary (cash) cards?

Or do they pretend their self employed workforce declare all the correct taxable income?

Sharing economy companies taking profit from unpaid taxes, in this case personal as well or corporation.

1. PNGuinn
      Big Brother

Re: Is Jinn pre-paying basic rate tax on those salary (cash) cards?

HMRC need to look at the whole setup pronto. As do the immigration folks. If either of them read the Reg suspect they now are.

There are also some not so subtle penalties for employers breaking somewhat complex law in this area.

8. Sgt_Oddball
    Devil

does no one reason the classics?

Any deal with a Jinn is bound to come back round to bite you.

(Devil because... do I really have to exploitable?)

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: does no one reason the classics?

Also... I really have to go back to reading the reg on anything other than my phone. I think the auto correct goes ballistic on me everytime I post on the bus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon