back to article Mega UK hospitals trust Barts says IT borkage was due to trojan – not ransomware

Barts Health NHS Trust has blamed the disruption of its IT systems last Friday on a trojan horse infection and not ransomware. The trust, which runs five east London hospitals and is among the biggest in the UK, was forced to quarantine systems in response to the outbreak last week. In an update on Monday, the trust said that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

difference?

Isn't ransomware just a payload that is contained in a Trojan?

I'm pretty sure people that get infected with ransomware are not presented with software that says 'download and install me if you want to encrypt all your stuff and then have to pay to access it'

2. Frank Bitterlich
    Paris Hilton

"Never been seen before"?

"The particular virus has never been seen before..." - ahum.

According to whom? The person who couldn't tell ransomware from another kind of malware? (Pro tip: you can tell that it's ransomware if it asks for a ransom.)

3. Steve Knox
    Facepalm

"Trojan malware, not ransomware"

So according to their own admission, they were infected not because their software was vulnerable, but because their staff was negligent. Or do they not know what the vector for Trojan malware is?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now that's odd...

I've been contracted in to assist with the 'virus' removal!

First screen I saw had RansomWare displayed

So far they have identified 40 systems infected, but there are MANY more

Disconnecting the infected systems is having little effect, as the Clinical imaging system is now suspect

Which, in fact, points to an external party uploading something bad to the main servers

- Anon, because these systems are completely private -

1. Hans 1 Silver badge

Re: Now that's odd...

A number of sites, such as ToryGraph and TheInquirer claim Windows XP systems were "targeted", can you confirm, AC ? I trust neither ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3002560/barts-health-nhs-trust-admits-its-windows-xp-pcs-have-been-infected-with-ransomware

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/13/largest-nhs-trust-hit-cyber-attack/

http://www.digitalhealth.net/cybersecurity/48415/barts-health-nhs-trust-hit-with-ransomware-virus

1. Walter Bishop Silver badge

"A source at the trust told HSJ the attack had affected thousands of files on the trust’s Windows 7 and Windows XP operating systems" ref

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The systems I've come across are all Windows 7

And the servers are running Server 2012 with SQL 2012

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I will try and update this evening, we've discovered something interesting

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

There will come a point when NHS trusts get that running out of date Windows is bad.

They might then extend that conclusion to the idea that running Windows (when it's not necessary) is worse.

6. EnviableOne Bronze badge

The problem is that most trust's XP licencing is covered under the old NHS enterprise agreement and was dirt cheap, but upgrading is going to come at the best price they can get themselves, which is considerably more (5-10x) depending on the size of trust

1. Halfmad Silver badge

That's not what usually prevents people upgrading. There are numerous, sometimes hundreds of clinical systems to consider, many of which aren't being kept up to date in terms of latest browser etc and which simply cannot run on the newer operating systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019