back to article Mattel's parenting takeover continues with Alexa-like dystopia

Today in “what could possibly go wrong?”, the company that gave the world the infamous “Hello Barbie” now wants its Amazon Alexa look-alike in kids' bedrooms. To wild applause from consumer gadget media, Mattel is pitching its Aristotle (with a female voice because that's how Greek philosophers roll these days) as a virtual …

1. Dr Scrum Master

<!>

Is this some kind of SJW, post-feminist, post-truth, post comment nightmare where sex and gender are fluid concepts to confuse children when they find out Aristotle was a man? Or is this actually more subtle and clever so that Aristotle is no longer viewed as a "dead white male" so his works can be taught again in American universities?

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: <!>

No, it's just marketing people. They live on a planet that doesn't have any direct relation to ours.

1. jamesb2147

To be fair, that's because the plebs (they be us, sometimes, too) live on a planet that is not constrained by reason.

2. Tom 38

Marketing people who don't know cockney rhyming slang

Stick it up yer Aris!

3. Spoonguard
        Gimp

A female-skinned assistant couldn't possibly be a pederast, unlike actual classical era Aristotle maybe

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A female-skinned assistant couldn't possibly be a pederast, unlike actual classical era Aristotle maybe

I think you will find that your gender-fixated orientation is beset by sad patriarchic symbolism and not fluid enough for non-deplorable mental agility.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Because naming it Sappho, or Aspasia, had it's own issues.

Though naming it after the guy who helped raise a Macedonian to wage war across most of the known world. (And after his death left a series a civil wars) isn't that brilliant.

2. redpawn

This is good

I want my children to get a head start in becoming a part of the Corporate Collective.

1. frank ly

Re: This is good

Does anybody remember the borged baby in Star Trek?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Share and Enjoy!

Siriusly!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Share and Enjoy!

Yep. Only when the revolution comes, it won't be marketing that's first against the wall.

Also, the revolution will be televised and corporate sponsored. And at the end of the day about market share.

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Adds a whole new dimension to the line in Monty Pythons' philosopher’s song:

"Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle"

5. Planty Bronze badge

What could go wrong????

Lots....

https://youtu.be/r5p0gqCIEa8

6. DNTP

What if they made it indoctrinate kids not to murder people

until they needed a kid who was able to murder people so they left that part out.

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: What if they made it indoctrinate kids not to murder people

Upvoted - because Teddy told me to.

7. earl grey
    Paris Hilton

can't be worse than yours truly

My sprog heard talk that would make barbie blush.

or paris

8. Chris G

Perfect

All of you lazy, stupid, ignorant parents who are too busy to interact normally with your children should buy one.

Then watch your kids raised to be asocial corporate borgs who will expect an instant response to whatever they want and will only understand consumerism.

This thing will only be as good as the people who program it and limited by cost.

I have come across enough people who were raised by nannies ( who are usually good at their jobs and genuinely care for their charges) who show the lack of parental care in their attitudes and behaviour.

1. Charles 9

Re: Perfect

So what do you propose: a legal license to raise children with mandatory procedures and penalties for failure to comply? Because that's frankly the only way you'll force parents to do their kids right in a world where they feel it's their business (because in the long run it's not; families DO NOT live in isolation; NO ONE does in a society; things done even in private can affect society as a whole).

2. Trilkhai

Re: Perfect

It's not being raised by a nanny that would cause someone to "expect an instant response to whatever they want and...only understand consumerism" — being spoiled by adults with more money than brains can do that regardless of whether there's a nanny around or not.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Will it run Windows, Linux or Mattel OS?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Building familie$

"I miss Ken, have mommy buy Ken."

"Ken wants a dog, have daddy buy a dog."

"We need a house now, ask to buy a house."

"Good little consumer, I bring happiness."

11. malvcr

Central brain

What voice and/or personality the device has it is really a secondary characteristic. What really worries me is that the processing is being made "outside" your home ... the same as SIRI and all these supposedly intelligent devices. In fact, there is no IA in the device, because the maker has a big central computer in some place processing all the data to offer an answer (only one brain, not many brains everywhere) ... I am not bought with this; everything will be different when the device process the data by itself without sending any type of sensitive information outside your own private space.

What about to have more contextual information? ... but this is different, you don't need to expose your detailed questions, even your own voice, to have external data, when it is needed to do that. They worked the easy path to have a product, that's all, not the right one.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Message to parents and toy makers.

Parents: YOU are soley responsible for the upbringing of your children.

YOU. Not the state and deffo not some purveyor of techno plastic crap.

Dont like the idea of reading bedtime stories or dealing with childrens little "foibles"? Then dont fucking have kids.

Toy makers. Stop it with the nasty perception changing toys. All you are doing is removing the childs ability to use imagination and THAT will be the bigger downfall than a random rock from space.

I dont have kids because i dont want them living in the world we are creating where imagination is stifled, conkers are banned, playing army is considered violent and every field/wood etc is being turned into housing estates...

Makes my shit itch.

Grumph.....

1. Charles 9

Re: Message to parents and toy makers.

"Parents: YOU are soley responsible for the upbringing of your children."

But there's no way to prevent them abdicating responsibility (because they can just drop a kid off at an orphanage and vanish), in which case you've got a bunch of potential delinquents and no one to raise them. And since Soylent Green and the like is not morally considered an option...

13. Bernard M. Orwell
    Joke

"All of you lazy, stupid, ignorant parents who are too busy to interact normally with your children should buy one"

What? Buy a child? Think there's laws against that!

14. Flywheel
    FAIL

"Aristotle will help purchase diapers"

Jeez, if you've reached the stage where you need help buying diapers nappies you shouldn't be having/managing children in the place! However, if Aristotle is actually paying for them that's a different matter...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon