back to article No envy for NVMe: Hardened newbie talks to the Reg

An array without limits sounds a great idea and the ADS 1000 is built by a startup whose name, Apeiron, is Greek for without limits. Its ADS1000 uses hardened Ethernet to have array network access latency cut to <3 µS for a round trip. That’s fast. Fast_Ethernet_speeds_ADoption_650 Fast Ethernet with no stack obstruction is …

1. Detective Emil
    Paris Hilton

Hardened Ethernet??

This piece would be better if it explained what on earth "hardened Ethernet" might be. A search for the phrase just turns up switches that one can install in one's cement works. And diving a couple of levels deep through links in the article leads only to a white paper that uses the phrase once without explanation.

1. Naselus

Re: Hardened Ethernet??

I think they're just coming up with new terms for fabrics tbh; they all use TRILL or some other post-STP method, which means you can punch a hole in the network and it'll just route round it. Hence 'hardened'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it's been hardened for more than four hours, it should call a doctor.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is not just made up techno babble. Apeiron took the Layer-2 Enet protocol and added some of the features typically found in layer-3 or above, the loss-less characteristics needed for storage connectivity. Features such as re-transmission of packets, packet re-ordering, flow control (back-pressure) and the full data path is integrated in to the hardware vs. the software. This is where the term "hardened" comes from. The connectivity between the server and the integrated storage network has all HA qualities of Layer-3 and above without the latency. This is where a lot of the Apeiron IP is: Apeiron is simply moving the PCIe TLP's via a hardened layer-2 tunnel to the integrated switching.

2. RollTide14

One small problem here

"No. Today’s scale-out applications provide storage HA through replication."

And here we go again....the vast majority of companies today still rely on NON next-gen scale out apps

1. GrumpyOF

Re: One small problem here

Absolutely, here we have a solution to a problem very few companies have. It doesn't seem much of a solution either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think

I just found the next Violin

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monkey Metal

Shoot the marketing dept. Why would you call your company Ape Iron? Jeez ... now I've got an image of an orangutan doing household chores. At least Gorilla Glue is actually glue, whereas this has nothing to do with iron.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon