back to article IBM boss pledges to hire 25,000 Americans in next four years

Ginni Rometty, CEO of IBM, has pledged to recruit 25,000 Americans to Big Blue over the next four years, but wants Uncle Sam to pay for it. Her vow comes as Rometty and fellow US tech bosses today met president-elect Donald Trump in New York City to talk about jobs and regulations. What great timing. In an op-ed in USA Today …

1. veti Silver badge

"New collar jobs"?

At last, it's about time we had a new euphemism for "interns".

It strikes me that IBM employs what, 60,000 people in the US? If the average employee stays for 10 years, then over 4 years you would expect a churn of about 24,000 just from natural turnover.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: "New collar jobs"?

I assumed from reading between the lines that now most of IBM's staff are in India, the US staff are going to have to work for Indian pay rates.

2. John Lilburne

She means slave collars.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, like in a dog collar. Maybe electrified to ensure obedience...

2. Nick 6

FailCEO

She's a failure - look at the quarterly results. 18 quarters of falling revenue.

Who should listen?

And the message is "here are some shitty jobs for the USA" pitch ?

GTFO ! I did, 2 years ago of my own volition, and have not regretted it given how she and the leeches are treating the workforce.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FailCEO

Still better business record than Trump so...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>She's a failure - look at the quarterly results. 18 quarters of falling revenue.

So glad to be on a winning team with now over 100 consecutive profitable quarters (with last quarter records in revenue and profit) in a very cyclical industry. Vague and anon on purpose but not all companies are ran by a bunch of clueless ass hats, even in tech.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Profit and revenue are not the same measure!

I wonder if your firm also had 100 consecutive quarters of increasing revenue. IBM has probably also had 100 consecutive quarters of profitability. It is not about profitability but about shrinking revenue. IBM is getting smaller in revenue terms, every quarter, for the past 18 quarters. Someone else can provide data on profitability during that time...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> firm also had 100 consecutive quarters of increasing revenue.

Actually pretty close. There was some dips during the macro recessions (and some sudden increases due to acquisitions) but the trend line over those 100 quarters is remarkably consistently up. Of course since my company makes things and does business the right way we are still probably worth less than some Silicon Valley unicorns that have no chance to ever turn a profit but are hyped by the right people. At least our generous stock grants performing consistent good also over time means I can largely hold on to them for at least 2 years to get the lower tax rate (actually plan much longer, do love and believe in my company) without worrying about being the sucker holding the bag right before bankruptcy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> She's a failure - look at the quarterly results. 18 quarters of falling revenue.

And "IBM has terminated workers for 18 straight quarters" i.e. offshoring. Coincidence?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trumppies Job Plan Inside... take a look!

1) we build a Trump Turd Resort and Golf Course in EVERY TOWN IN THE MIDWEST!! Jobs! Boom!

2) everyone can now switch to one of the many exciting careers available! We have:

Buss boy

Waiter

Hotel lobby assistant

Bell hop

Cleaning lady. i.e. this is the only option for women, the rest are for hard-working men only. Sorry

Pool boy

Car valet

The list goes ON and ON and ON and ON and ON...

Get your resumes at the ready! Then print them! (wait for it) Now toss them in the trash bin and there you are!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Collar Jobs?

Wow, pretty gutsy to come straight out and say you're going to put metal collars on employees, tether them to their 2-foot wide cubicle, and treat them like dogs.

1. Mark 85

Re: Collar Jobs?

Rather than dogs, more like galley slaves. "Row well and live.... or until we find someone younger and stronger."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing calling them slave collar jobs might be too early..

Now over here is your pen... I mean... cubicle... now we'll just fit this shock collar on so that if you leave your pen for too long it will give you a slight jolt...

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

I'd say Rometty is sucking Trump's dick, but that's a mental image not even single-malt can fix.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

that's a mental image not even single-malt can fix.

Well, you could at least try. If the first double doesn't help, increase the dose.

7. EveryTime

25K layoffs?

IBM has been shipping every possible job to India. A few years ago they had more employees in India than any other country. With the layoffs since then, more than half of the worldwide employees are there.

The result was short-term gains, but their customers were leaving as quickly as they could. Customers want working business processes, not masses of low-quality people working on those processes.

It's possible that IBM management has realized their mistake, and is looking to change direction. But I doubt it. They are talking about hiring newly-trained people -- ones they no doubt want to pay entry-level wages. They aren't talking about rehiring the already-trained experienced people.

If Trump had any consistency, he would be chewing out IBM for doing exactly what he campaigned against -- shipping jobs overseas, and then asking the government for hand-outs.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: 25K layoffs?

"It's possible that IBM management has realized their mistake... "

I suppose it is, but what are the odds?

8. ecofeco Silver badge

Hahahahahaha

Sure they will. Sure they will.

Do they have a cheap bridge for sale as well?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just another company looking for a taxpayer handout

Oh look another company that wants to privatize the profits and socialize the costs of doing business. Train your own damn employees IBM. If you are worried about their loyalty gee then maybe don't shit can older workers to avoid pension costs. Amazing how short sided things becomes when you listen to 20 or 30 somethings with MBAs huh?

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

You learn something new every day!

For example, I didn't expect that India had run out of bodies. That seems impossible to me, but it is the only explanation for IBM announcing new hires in the U.S.

Either that, or Ginni is hiring 25,000 entry -level employees using federal subsidies, and laying off 35,000 current employees.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You learn something new every day!

I think it's a token gesture to appease the increasingly hostile American public, i.e. damage control.

It's also possible that IBM's brass have finally admitted that offshoring is a self-defeating strategy. And the article makes it plain that they want subsidies for the 25,000 new hires.

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

the "free" market

Where the cheap beat out the good

Where the cheaper beat out the cheap

Where the federally funded beat out the cheaper.

Until the money runs out.

Do MBA's attract sociopaths or do they actually create people who behave like sociopaths?

I think there's at least one PhD to be had answering that question.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: the "free" market

Yep! You could get one in each of the social sciences. I would have thought that anthropology is off the list but, since cultures are involved, you can tick that box too.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"Yep! You could get one in each of the social sciences."

I'm not sure if that depresses me more about MBA courses (and their entrants) or Social Sciences courses.

Still no known treatment for sociopathy either.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: the "free" market

Do MBA's attract sociopaths or do they actually create people who behave like sociopaths?

Both.

Have you ever looked at a basic MBA course? There is not one damn thing in it that connects in any way with reality.

12. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

In my younger days I paid for my own education myself. Was between a rock and a hard place some months, but I pulled it off.

Besides, what guarantee do you have that those chosen 25000 will pass their training courses? Or will it be on how to use a mouse and keyboard? o_O

13. NBCanuck

Important difference...

IBM "pledges to hire 25,000 Americans in next four years".

There is a very big difference between hiring 25,000 Americans and increasing their workforce by 25,000 Americans. Hopefully that is clarified before one single dollar moves their way.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vocational training

I actually approve of that, at the high school level. College/university education is overpriced garbage topped off with SJW indoctrination. Get the kids out of the shitty high school classrooms and into workshops, teach them useful craftsmanship/tech/engineering skills, spare them the brainwashing bullshit and student loans.

But don't give any of the money to IBM or other companies. No unpaid or subsidized internships. I remember not so long ago when companies like IBM and Verizon actually used to *sponsor* voc-tech programs. They considered it money well spent to prime the hiring pipeline.

1. cd

Re: Vocational training

The large trucking companies in the US have over 100% turnover rates. Every day craigslist and other job boards are splattered with their offers of a new career, complete with training. US gov pays for that vocational training at their company schools. Then the companies screw the driver by not letting them go home for months until they quit. The question is whether they make more delivering freight or doing vocational training.

We're close to Mark Twain's way of getting by; by taking in each others laundry.

15. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Give her a hair cut and she would look like ...

Drumph.

Just the wealthy getting their hands on more public money.

16. Gis Bun

Surprised she didn't ask the government to pay for all the salaries of the new employees trained.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

At least not publicly.

Give it time. Mark my words.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like