back to article Engineers say safety features got squished out of cramped Samsung Note 7

A teardown analysis of the Samsung Note 7 claims that the ill-fated phablet was doomed by a design flaw that squeezed its battery pack to unsafe pressure levels. Anna Shedletsky, CEO of engineering software developer Instrumental, said her team's teardown analysis of the Note 7 found that the smartphone's tendency to explode …

1. EveryTime

All common cell chemistries expand when discharged. The cell physical structure and enclosure must be designed with this in mind.

Some types of rechargeable cells even need a stretchable "girdle" to prevent de-lamination One type of large (100Ah-200Ah) pouch cell we designed with used rigid end plates and strapping bands -- the nylon or stainless steel types you find on large crates. If you crimped them on when the cells were fully charged, the pouches would distort on discharge. If you crimped when the cells were discharged, they would drop off at the next full charge.

2. Drew 11

$10 says there's an engineer somewhere in Samgsung that was demoted for warning too often that they were going to have battery problems.

1. SVV

And another $10 says that there's someone in their marketing department that argued to the ultimate powers that be on this project that the thinness was more important than anything the engineers were "whinging about". And as usual the marketing department won. And as usual a sorry mess ensued.

3. Yesnomaybe

Obvious solution?

Make a new slightly slimmer battery for the Note7 and start producing them again. I want my Note7!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious solution?

Or better yet, make the case slightly larger in the thickness.

What is it with all the manufactures trying to shave parts of a millimetre off the thickness? I would prefer a slightly thicker unit with a removable battery.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the pathetic arms race has found a public victim.

Ooo look it shiny and new, look it's now 2.45mm instead of 2.46, oooh look at the shinyness.

yes you Journos are as guilty of pointless bullshit this as the manufacturers.

It's like the stupid javascript wars in browsers from a few years ago. Oooh look our browser loads a page 0.05 seconds quicker.

1. BenR

Re: So the pathetic arms race has found a public victim.

100% agree.

Whats that? You've made a phone that's only 6.4mm thick? Wow... but what about that bulge where the camera is? Does that not count? And why does it need to be so thin anyway?

How about we just say 8mm is plenty thin, no camera bulges, and then as miniaturisation gives you more space, put in a bigger battery so my phone has a chance of lasting two days of use rather than barely one.

1. Phil W

Re: So the pathetic arms race has found a public victim.

I would pay literally ridiculous sums of money for an N900 (or N950 because it was sexier) with more modern specs running Android.

Currently have a Priv, which is the closest thing there is currently.

5. James 51

Imagine what could be done if people were willing to accept phones the size of the N900 now.

We need a day dream or I have a dream emoticon.

1. Ryan Clark

My wifes phone died recently and I dug out some old phones to see if any would do as a temp replacement. Among them was my old HTC 7pro. Despite having a much smaller screen than my current Lumia 930, almost twice as thick and an awful lot heavier, I would love to have that form factor back. The full keyboard makes doing writing tasks on the phone so much easier.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Heh. Some do. Just the other day I was walking by a mobile phone stand and saw N900 on display. Going for €50.

When I got back with the cash, it was already gone. Tough luck.

6. David Lawton

Well maybe if they had removed the headphone jack it would not be as tight for space.

1. James 51

You forgot the joke icon.

7. dajames

Hilarious!

You write an article about Samsung's batteries being squeezed, and you head it with a picture of an apple being squeezed in a vice.

You'll be telling us that Samsung copied the idea, next!

8. genghis_uk
    Coat

I notice that it is a software engineering team blaming the hardware design...

9. JJKing
    Coat

My condolences.

My wifes phone died recently

Ryan, my condolences for your wife's loss. I'm sure it has gone to a better place [insert cloud icon]

1. Dave 137

Re: My condolences.

"No silicon heaven? But where would all the calculators go?"

10. Stevie

Bah!

Under pressure!

Pressing down on me,

Pressing in on me,

Think I'll explode ...

It's the horror of knowing that Samsung is a liar

Watching some good friend scream "My ear's on fire!"

1. Trumpet Winsock
      Thumb Up

Re: Bah!

Desmond Decker and the Aces " My Earsarealight "

11. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Wanted: Thicker Smartphones

I'd certainly be willing to purchase a smartphone that was, say, 15mm thick (instead of 6 mm).

Especially if that meant that it had room for a generous battery, a headphone socket, and an HDMI port and stronger internals (to avoid bendgate).

1. JeffyPoooh

Re: Wanted: Thicker Smartphones

Explanation.

I'm in Canada. When I hold my phone up, there's plenty of free space in front of me. Certainly enough room for an extra ~8 mm of phone thickness. Tokyo Metro subway car during rush hour it certainly ain't.

No need for ultra thin phones. Pointless.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Wanted: Thicker Smartphones

You don't need a thicker phone to avoid bendgate, you just need an iPhone.*

*Yes I'm aware that 'bendgate' was originally an iPhone story. I'm also aware that as the story was a complete pile of steaming kangaroo bollocks, the best way to 'avoid' the made-up phenomenon it described was to simply stop believing in conspiracy theories and just buy the product you wanted anyway.

12. ecofeco Silver badge

So, manglement then?

Was it manglement or marketing?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like