back to article Robotics is coming on leaps and bounds – literally: Bushbaby bot most vertically agile yet

Roboticists from the University of California, Berkeley, have built the “most vertically agile” robot, capable of jumping better than humans. Salto, the pint-sized robot, can jump up to a metre in height in less than a second. It stands for saltatorial locomotion on terrain obstacles, and is modeled on one of nature’s most …

1. 2+2=5 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Underwhelmed by the video

So, basically it's no more advanced than a suction-cup jumping toy from a Christmas cracker, with no apparent progress on the difficult bits: namely aiming the jump and holding on to whatever it lands on?

1. Deebster

Re: Underwhelmed by the video

It's not clear at all, but that video is of the TAUB robot that is the current high-jumping champion.

The Salto video is better but still doesn't live up to what's in your head.

2. Brian Miller

The point is that it can jump, re-cock its mechanism in flight, and jump again when it comes into contact with its next target. Pretty decent, and I'd like to see it as a kit.

1. Yesnomaybe

"Underwhelmed" was my first thought also, so I was disappointed to find the term had been used already in the comments. That won't stop me though. I WAS underwhelmed. I think the kids made something similar with an upside-down mousetrap a little while back.

3. You aint sin me, roit

Spring loaded suction cup was precisely what sprung to my mind!

This whole idea of height * rate seems a bit unfair to me - it doesn't take into account the size of the jumper, putting our insect friends at a considerable disadvantage.

Instead of emulating a bushbaby why not look at the humble flea - after all they article notes that the height record is held by a locust-alike.

2. Eddy Ito Silver badge

Salto video here. I believe the trick is being able to sequence jumps for greater height rather than holding on after jumping.

1. Flywheel Silver badge

Salto looks impressive - imagine a 6-ft tall version!

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Re: 2+2=5

Yeah, well the people have got wise to the $20,000 hammers in the budget, so this is the $20,000,000 replacement.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Really, Q, we must get them in the shops for christmas."

5. Stoneshop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Saeco or Jura

Even processes like walking up stairs or making a cup of coffee require a major effort.

Just use one of those fully automatic coffee makers.

1. Unep Eurobats
      Happy

Re: Saeco or Jura

"Just use one of those fully automatic coffee makers"

It can get up the stairs? I need never get out of bed again.

6. Ru'

Surely the "new" units they came up with should be written ms, not m/s (which I believe may already be used as a unit of speed)?

But I, for one, welcome our new randomly jumping overlords.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The terms "AI" and "Robot" are completely over-used these days. At a guess, I'd say it's nothing more than a marketing tool to get more interest in whatever you happen to be doing.

8. GrahamRJ

Or get a small dog

I used to have cocker spaniels. At the moment we're looking after a friend's Westie. Believe me, if they can see food anywhere which is remotely reachable, their jump height and "recock" speed for another jump is unreal. Cairn terriers are probably the best though - I considered buying one of those at one time. I swear I checked the floor of their enclosure to see if they had a trampoline, because the puppies seemed to be levitating.

9. Alistair Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

military bouncing robot

- "betty".

<what? Me? Cynical?>

10. Adam 1

two things

> US Army backs droid for search and rescue missions

Yeah. That's definitely the use case they have in mind. The other one plays jingle bells.

> Roboticists

That has got to be the most awesome job title for your business card.

-- Adam 1 - Roboticist

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019